Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turn signal indicator on steering column

Default Turn signal indicator on steering column

Here's a small problem I've come across. My turn signals work periodically, when they want to it seems. I removed the green plastic cover on the steering column unit and noticed the bulb will not seat properly. The unit is in excellent shape, but the little nibs on the bulb just won't lock in place. One side will but the other won't. It seems as though the bulb socket may be out of round alittle, or the replacement bulbs from NAPA (made in China) are not exactly like the original. Thinking of using a needle nose pliers to close the gap ever so slightly. My thinking is the bulb not seating properly is the cause of my turn signals not flashing. Sound correct? I have a new flasher unit that I haven't installed yet, but the bulb seems like the first place to start.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

I think getting the socket to fit right is a good thing...your idea makes sense to me.

As far as the overall system...is nothing in the turn signal system working when they are acting up? Have you tried to get them in the not working mode and play with the bulb and see if they start? Maybe even play with the bulb when they are working right and see if you can make them screw up...

Let us know...be glad to help what I can.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Thanks Jon. When the indicator light isn't blinking, the signals are not blinking. Does the indicator bulb complete the cuircut? That was my thinking anyway. I'll try putting the turn signal lever in the on position and see if pushing the bulb down causes the front and rear turn signals to blink. All four corners work fine when they decide to. I really think the Chinese NAPA bulb just doesn't fit like the original. Surprise, surprise!!!
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

I strongly suspect that the replacement bulb (China) is the reason that the bayonets don't grab. I would think that trying to find a vintage USA made bulb (Which may be a problem) for it might be the answer to the "loose" bulb. I would strive for that before bending the socket.

As for trouble shooting, I don't have any experience. My turn signal (newer style like yours) doesn't work either. I have not tried to find the cause because I have a NOS distribution box and NOS turn signal handle. I plan to retro-fit my truck because that is what I had when I was in the army.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

The bulb, as you suspect DOES complete the circuit...so that would be a great way to troubleshoot...wiggle bulb to make it work when its not...

I just wonder if it could be other stuff...like a bad ground or some other thing...but definitely start with getting the bulb fixed up!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    The bulb, as you suspect DOES complete the circuit...so that would be a great way to troubleshoot...wiggle bulb to make it work when its not...

I just wonder if it could be other stuff...like a bad ground or some other thing...but definitely start with getting the bulb fixed up!
    Good to know that the bulb DOES complete the circuit. Thanks for the info...

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

China strikes again!

Those Chinese bulbs give me fits. For the reasons you mentioned, of course, but also because they can't take any vibration at all. Put one in a British motorcycle for about 5 miles and you have to replace it. I hunt the swap meets regularly for bulbs, among other stuff.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Potts, give me you address in a PM and I will send you a USA bulb, if I can find an extra laying around.

Moose
    1968 M725(2)
    1967 M715
    1967 M725(2)
    1963 M43
    1954 M37
    1967 M103A3 w/M1010 Body

We got a batch of those Chinese bulbs at the body shop, you would put one in and the owner would be back the next day complaining that we didn't check his lights before it left. One thing I can't stand is to look bad in front of somebody because of a junk part.
    Could you make a jumper wire to see if the rest of your lights continue to work for a while?

my 68 does not even have the bulb since a "friend" broke the handle off about 3" from the end last summer and the turn signals still work. Not sure that the bulb is needed.
    Kevin
    68 M715 Modified