Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speedo question

Default Speedo question

I have to correct my speedo one of these days and was wondering if the stock speedo will handle around 70 mph speeds ?

Quote Originally Posted by CHRIS UNGER View Post
    I have to correct my speedo one of these days and was wondering if the stock speedo will handle around 70 mph speeds ?
    Somewhere, I have a picture of my truck in Germany with the needle of the speedometer pointing to "Miles". Needless to say, it was moving much in excess of the highest number...

I once had the speedo needle pointing straight down...it didnt give any problems...though I am not sure if it would like it for extended periods.

I would advise that you grease the speedo cable inside the sheath...randyscycle knows how...maybe he will see this...I think one removes the inner metal part and gives it a coat of lithium grease as it is reassembled...but dont take that as certain until someone verifies it...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Yup. Just disconnect the cable at the transfer case, (my favorite M715 task) then pull out the inner core. I don't think it will come out the speedo head end, if I remember correctly. I usually clean it really well with either carb cleaner, kerosene or the like, and I also try to clean the cable itself inside by spraying carb cleaner through it until it comes out the other end clean. Then grease up the core with something like John Deere Cornhead grease or something light like that.

If the speedometer is like most I've ever had apart, there probably wouldn't be any issue with running it past its marked limit. Anything made in the last 40 to 50 years is usually a magnetic instrument, meaning it has a rotating magnet that sits inside a cup connected to the needle. as the magnet spins, it pulls the outer cup along with it in a calibrated way to indicate the speed you are doing. Most instruments have a stop on the high end as well as the rest end, so worst case, it will just hit the stop and nothing more.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

70 mph! Wow, you're brave. I keep my truck at about 1/2 that speed. It's not a daily driver, so when I'm in it I'm in no real hurry.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Well I have some late model axles in mine.

Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by CHRIS UNGER View Post
    Well I have some late model axles in mine.
    Well, good luck and hold on.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

I have all late model drivetrain , seat belts and a full cage so it isn't too bad.

I´ve done 85 in mine