Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12 volt 3 lever light switch?

Default 12 volt 3 lever light switch?

I am approaching the wiring install on my M715. Basic V8 install with 12 volt lights ect. I am sure there is a way to rewire the 3 lever light switch (I want to keep it as it is so cool looking). Does anyone recommend a web site or thread describing how to accomplish this?

When you say "re-wire", Do you need a diagram for the switch, or are you concerned about it being 12v? The switch should work just fine with the 12 volts. But, you mentioned the "wiring install", so I'm assuming you're replacing all of the wiring... There are some pretty useful diagrams listed in the manuals section of this site. If those don't provide what you're looking for, I'm sure somebody here has the answer.

The 3 lever switch will work with 12 volts fine.

The turn signal type on the truck is the sticking point for conversions...

If you have the later, solid state, style, 12 volt is fine.

If you have the earlier, large distribution box under the hood, type, then you have to make changes to get 12 volts to work on the system.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Thanks, I am replacing the whole harness with a painless wiring harness and have installed a GM tilt column so the turn signal switches are also 12 volt in the column. Basically I want to adapt the harness into the plug that goes into the back of the original military switch. My thought is to use the BO light switch to operate the off road lights I will mount on the bumper.

I broke down the pins on that connector here:

http://www.m715zone.com/vb/view.php?pg=early_harness

3rd big image on that page...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

I believe fisherman, with the help of Kaiserjeeps, cleverly incorporated the 3-lever switch into a modern wiring harness somehow. You could PM one of them about it. Or do a search here as I think they posted details about it.
    -- Tim Taylor

Seddons, there are a few different ways that you can incorporate the 3 lever switch. I front ended the stock wiring with a key switch and a modern fuse panel/harness. All of the lights work as they did with the stock harness.

I used R Boltz's modified schematic. Here is a quick snap shot of it with the changes. If you are interested, I can scan a copy and email it to you

Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

Thanks, George

Thanks everyone, I guess the first thing is, can I get a reproduction or “new” round male plug pigtail for the back of the switch assembly to wire the new harness into? The switch is fine but the original harness is shot.

I have seen the plugs on ebay from time to time. I believe it is the same plug for any mv that has the 3 lever switch
    Thanks, George