Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Changing the winch.

Default Changing the winch.

You may remember that I got this truck and you guys told me that it had a 2.5 ton winch on it. Darn! Well, I now have an LU4. But I have a lot of work to do. The person/persons who installed it didn't plan for it to come off and I found some disappointing things. I will take pictures and post them later. Here is what I have now:

I am guessing the frame horns were...molested?

Hope it works out for the best...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    I am guessing the frame horns were...molested?

Hope it works out for the best...
    Thou art very correct

Here is a picture of the present mess. I have started to use a wizz wheel to cut the welds. I have torches but the bottles are empty and I am moving so I don't want to deal with it here.

And here is a close up of the left front frame horn. I don't think this thing was ever gonna come loose! I have to drill out the hole in the frame top also. Please look at the arrows.

BTW, what size is the chain that attaches to the winch cable, how many links and what size is the hook? Sorry to ask so many questions. I just want to do it right. There are no M715 trucks near me to look at.

Wish me luck!!!

Would it make sense to get a plasma cutter? I don't have one and most likely would not use it much. But you know how guys love toys! I do have a MIG Welder.

A plasma torch is nice, you can be more accurate than the old gas axe torch set. Hard to justify the cost if you don't plan on using it for much else.

Looks like you got your work cut out for you........

Scott
    '67 M715 '67 M725 '69 M726 (x2)

"it's cheap and you get all you can shove in your pie-hole" --Kozmo 12-10-13

Quote Originally Posted by fishtail View Post
    A plasma torch is nice, you can be more accurate than the old gas axe torch set. Hard to justify the cost if you don't plan on using it for much else.

Looks like you got your work cut out for you........

Scott
    Yeah Scott. I am not trying to make a Concourse restoration. But I do like to do things right. I was sitting here at the computer and thought, "Well, maybe if I get a plasma cutter, I won't need the torches?" But how many times do we use gas to heat something that won't budge? Yeah, all of the time. So, we shall see. I won't be able to get back to it until Tuesday as long as it isn't raining...

Talk about an uphill climb...make it to the top though and the view will be worth the effort...a lot of effort...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    Talk about an uphill climb...make it to the top though and the view will be worth the effort...a lot of effort...

Does anyone know:

What size is the chain that attaches to the winch cable?

How many links?

What size is the hook?

Sorry to ask so many questions. I just want to do it right. There are no M715 trucks near me to look at and the TM is what I would call unclear. It does say that the cable is 7/16" X 150' though.