Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rubbing diesel on you paint, is that whagt they did im the army?

Default rubbing diesel on you paint, is that whagt they did im the army?

ok, so i was talking to a guy at work about my truck, and when i told him that the hood was starting to flatten out from the sun, he told me they used to wipe the trucks down with fuel when they would have an inspection. he was the second person to tell me this. was this a regular prectice?

Hi Duane, I don't believe it was done on a regular basis, but we did it periodicaly. Makes the vehicle look new (almost). While in Military Police school I used to put Glow Coat floor wax on my boots for inspection. That is until a Drill Instructor told me to put them on and walk in them.....their were so many cracks in them they looked like a road map! Ah! those were the days. Also wiping down a truck with fuel was a dangerous practice, especially when we all smoked!!!!
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Kerosene was also used! Seriously. And, a sugar water mixture.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

My Dad ( a Vietnam Veteran of 1968-70) also told the same tale of guys wiping the trucks down with diesel to "clean" them up a bit.

An old trick of many years ago was also to add a little kerosene to the wash bucket of any vehicle. It will give a nice shine, but just don't drive it down a dusty gravel driveway after the fact.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Hey Don, sugar water is a new one one me. Sure would atract the ants though. I think I prefer to keep the sugar in my coffee. Army coffee could always use a touch of sugar.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by militarypotts View Post
    Hey Don, sugar water is a new one one me. Sure would atract the ants though. I think I prefer to keep the sugar in my coffee. Army coffee could always use a touch of sugar.
    Ain't that the truth

I never heard of using diesel to bring out the luster of the flat mil paint, it makes sense. I know many times I've used diesel as thinner to cut the mil paint to shoot on with the onboard compressor. The paint stuck well.

I have accidently oversprayed WD 40 on lubing hinges, etc. and then sprayed a little more and wiped it around, really brings back the color. I don't know any long-term effects with original paint.

Scott
    '67 M715 '67 M725 '69 M726 (x2)

"it's cheap and you get all you can shove in your pie-hole" --Kozmo 12-10-13

And I will admit to using mogas as a paint thinner whilst I was in Germany 41 years ago. I didn't realize how foolish it was and feel good to be alive. But the paint looked just fine...

I 2nd that!!!!