Thread: Hydraulic Winch Sale

Default Hydraulic Winch Sale

I don't really have any experience with hydraulic winches but I do have a fair amount of experience with electric winches. I'm also aware of the "supposed" advantages and disadvantages of each, but again no first hand experience with hydro. I've been keeping an eye out for a heavy duty winch for my truck at a decent price. I'd like a 15,000lb, but $1,500 or so for a decent Warn is just too much. I probably won't use it much, but it would be nice to have. I'm aware of some cheaper alternatives that are still decent quality, but I also want to do something different at the same time, like a pto setup or hydraulic.

I know both have quite a few hidden costs, but I'd spend a bit more for something different, and I like "projects." Anyway, I stumbled across this winch, which is supposedly made by T-Max industrial. I'll have to read up on the company since I don't know much about them.

Anybody had any experience with them? I compared this winch to a warn hydraulic and it seems to have good numbers, but it's much heavier and the warranty is probably sketchy. It also holds 238 feet of 5/8" cable. I like the price tag though! Would it be feasible to run a hydraulic pump of the pto, or best to just run it off the crank pulley?
    Thanks!

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...Product%20Page

* 16 MPA rated single-line pull pressure
    * 15.8 gal./min. maximum input flow
    * 100cc/R hydraulic motor displacement
    * 3 3/4in. dia. x 9 1/3in.L drum
    * 8 2/3in. dia. drum flange
    * CE standard compliance
    * 2xG1/2in.(oil in);1xG1/4in.(oil out) hydraulic fluid connection
    * 19.03-ft. cable capacity
    * Yellow finish

Key Specs
    Line Pull (lbs.)
    Line Speed (FPM)
    Gear Train
    2-stage planetary
    Gear Ratio
    23 : 1
    Clutch
    Manual
    Braking
    Spring-applied disc brake
    Rope Type
    Not included
    Rope Size L x dia. (ft. x in.)
    Not included
    Fairlead Type
    Roller
    Mounting Hardware Included
    No
    Mounting Bolt Pattern L x W (in.)
    13 1/3 x 6 2/3
    Dimensions L x W x H (in.)
    32 1/2 x 15 x 9 3/8
    Manufacturer Warranty
    12 months parts / 12 months labor
    Ship Weight
    231.0 lbs
    Item#
    Last edited by 97XJSP; November 1st, 2011 at 02:51 AM.

I had a hydraulic setup on my chevy 1 ton. You have to have a tank w/filter and a bypass? valve as well as the pump driven by a driveshaft via pto. Not super difficult but it starts to get a little busy under the truck. If you use the quick connect couplers, you can use the hydraulics for other stuff too. I ran a log splitter with mine.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I know there were a few that ran from the power steering pump too. The only issues I know of with those is that the pump has to work extra hard and needs a cooler then. If you're running power steering and hydroboost, I'd doubt the pump could handle it all though.

That is a heavy winch! Of course when comparing it to a stock military winch its pretty light. An M715 could handle it no problem, but anything else would need an extra leaf up front.......
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

I will be adding power steering over the winter hopefully, but I think I would use a separate pump powered off the PTO and have a decent sized fluid tank. I think that setup would probably be much happier and work better... Again, no experience but I would guess a good sized dedicated pump would work better, and the tank would help with temperatures. Maybe just mount a second power steering pump?

I'm just starting to wonder if it will be worth it by the time it's up and running. I'd still have to buy the pto, a pump, the actual cable, hoses, build the tank, and figure out what it needs for valves/ controls.
    My original plan was to just get a 200A one wire alternator and mount a battery under the hood and hook up an electric winch. Something like a funky hydraulic setup or the original pto setup seems much more suited to the clunky old beast to me...

For anyone that has seen a hydraulic winch in action, are they really that much better than electric? I know one advantage of most is that they are 2 speed and the high speed is very fast. This winch doesn't appear to have multiple speeds.

Well, it may be an easier decision than I thought... Looks like it's sold out and discontinued! The 12,000lb model is still in stock though. That explains the price.

Quote Originally Posted by 97XJSP View Post
    Well, it may be an easier decision than I thought... Looks like it's sold out and discontinued! The 12,000lb model is still in stock though. That explains the price.
    Ah, discontinued, you had me even considering a hydraulic winch, seemed like a great deal for that price...
    - Luke
    1968 M715 the Monolith

Why not find a warn series 12 or milemarker hydro winch surplus? I picked up 2 of the 12,000lbs warn winches for $75. Both need a new motor, but I found them for $160. So I will have both of them running for under $400. I just yesterday recieved my milemarker hydro winch. I picked it up for $160 and $70 shipping. I'll have to figure out how to control it, but adding a power steering pump and some hydro lines will be easy. Both of these winches are used on the hmmvws and are out there for good prices if you look.
    "We are here for the meeting!"

I've been keeping an eye out on ebay, but I guess I need to expand my search. The other thing is that I just don't like the idea of buying used winches, you never know what could be inside...