Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frame and axle paint

Default Frame and axle paint

I am in the process of removing the bed off of my truck to begin treating the rust on the frame. I was curious if the frames and axles were a black or if they were the olive drab color like the rest of the truck. I am looking to buy some military paint from Rapco Parts and wanted to try and stay as original as I could in the color scheme.

Many of the trucks came with semi-gloss black frames and axles. Others on this site have found frames that were OD green.

When I was in the army, 1968-70, I had much access to the M715. I even drove brand new ones off of the boat in Bremerhaven, Western Germany. They arrived with the engines painted semi-gloss black, the frames painted semi-gloss black and the Dana axles painted semi-gloss back as mentioned above. I believe that engines that went to depot for rebuild were returned Olive Drab painted. Not sure of the under fender area but I always painted mine black.

Thanks, Don. That question about the frame and axles had been asked many time without a definitive answer. The other question is the color of the valve cover on the engine. Was it bare aluminum or painted? Some of the factory pics seem to indicate bare and others painted? What have you seen?

Valve covers were painted the same color as the engine, black. I got an NOS one from I think it was Vintage Power Wagons. (Can't check for sure because I am in Australia right now) Since I don't have access (read "for free") to cleaning tanks and glass beading machines, I figured it would be easier to get a new one. And of course, the new ones have not been distorted by over torquing.

When I painted my truck in Germany, I painted the raised letters with silver paint as well as the raised letters on the tires. I have not found the other pictures of my Germany truck yet.

When I pulled the engine out of mine, it was painted black & showed remnants of black on the valve cover. I repainted it black & painted the raised letters on the valve cover OD. Looks pretty good. My frame & axles show black paint under OD overspray.
    Years ago Bumpr & I visited Barry Yorwarth & he had a frame that was black with the original part numbers stencilled on it! Tres' Cool!

POR15 makes a chassis black paint that is very good, paint the frame and diffs with that. That what i used.

Duane

Another option is to paint the engine and/or frame and differentials with Rustoleum Satin Black. It is PN 7777. Comes in an easy to use spray can and costs about $4-5 a can. I use it all of the time.

I agree, my frame is black. I didn't use any special type of paint, although I know they're out there. I power washed and scrubbed the frame and axels first, then rattle canned them with black. Believe it or not, alot of people bend down to check out the underside of the truck and always comment on how it looks. I think it looks like it should (not to perfect, considering it's 43 years old). I pride myself on trying to keep the truck looking nostalgic, if that makes sense. While I know some Zoner's want their truck to look like the day it rolled off the assembly line, I prefer alittle more of the combat zone weathered look. Once again, it's all a matter of taste and opinion. Truth is, I don't ever remember a truck in the motor pool with an OD frame or axels. That was 40 plus years ago so my memory may be hazy.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by militarypotts View Post
    I agree, my frame is black. I didn't use any special type of paint, although I know they're out there. I power washed and scrubbed the frame and axels first, then rattle canned them with black. Believe it or not, alot of people bend down to check out the underside of the truck and always comment on how it looks. I think it looks like it should (not to perfect, considering it's 43 years old). I pride myself on trying to keep the truck looking nostalgic, if that makes sense. While I know some Zoner's want their truck to look like the day it rolled off the assembly line, I prefer alittle more of the combat zone weathered look. Once again, it's all a matter of taste and opinion. Truth is, I don't ever remember a truck in the motor pool with an OD frame or axels. That was 40 plus years ago so my memory may be hazy.
    Thanks for taking the time to type all of the above. It stands in line with what I remember as well and my sentiments. I am with you there 100%. While I would love to have the time and place (and money) to do a frame off restoration, that is not in the cards. I bought paint and since it is a satin color, I can do a part, fender, hood whatever one a time and it will still look OK. It is not going to be shown in a Concours d'Elegance!.