Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another change of plans... 6.2 Hyd Clutch?

Default Another change of plans... 6.2 Hyd Clutch?

I have a good running SBC that I have been cleaning up, putting a gasket kit on, painting, new flywheel and clutch, rebuild carb, etc...

Well, my buddy has been really working on me to put a 6.2 in. he's got 2 trucks with 6.2' and a 3rd that the body is junk. Its a runner with a new injection pump. He wants $400 for it. I"m not a diesel guy, but it has my curiousity up.

He's also pushing the 700R4. I think that I would rather use the 465/205 combo that I already have. OD sounds nice, but i like shifting gears. I don't think it will be too bad with the 4:11 axles that will be going in.

I'll need to get a 6.2 flywheel, oil cooler, and get some sort of hydraulic clutch.

What do I need to put the Hydraulic clutch in (besides slave and MC). Can I use the new SBC clutch kit on the 6.2?
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

I used a brake master cylinder from a 1963 Wagoneer and put it on the clutch side of my M715. Fits perfectly and works very nicely with my NV4500 setup. You do have to drill some holes in the firewall and in the clutch pedal for the rod.

what size slave bore did you use Mikel?
    Thanks, George

I don't have a good opinion of automatics generally either. However, after wheeling my 6.2 powered M1009 over the weekend with another 1009, a Pinzgauer and a pair of M715's. I might really be going over to the dark side.

The 6.2 trucks chuged up the hills with very little wheel spin. The 350 powered TH400 driven M715 had a little more rpm, but shot right up the hills. The stock M715 screamed up the hills and the Pinz had the engine screaming and all 6 spinning.

Dodging trees, over rocks and logs and stopping on slopes sure were easy with the automatic.

The new pump on a 6.2 is almost worth $400 by itself. Matter of fact, if it was really rebuilt and calibrated by a Stanadyne guy. I will send you $300 for it right now. Really!

If your buddy really has a 6.2 700R4 with the tv cable and the cable bracket for the engine. That is the holy grail of CUCV parts if it is a 4x4 version. If you don't want it, how much? 2wd or 4wd?

I have a NV4500 behind a 396 Big Block in my M715. The OD sure is nice for all driving, not just above 30 mph. I am probably going to pull the 396 and put a 6.2 in there as soon as I get some other projects done. If I had a 700R4 with the 6.2 bracket, I would be putting that in as well. That is the super nice thing about the divorced t case on the M715. Any transmission will fit just about.

Now, if you really want to stay standard. Sermis, Pistolnut and myself have made 88-99 chevy or dodge hydraulic clutch master and slave setups work on our M715's with very good results. I like the dodge version better because it is less holes to drill in the firewall. But, either is great and cheap to find already hooked together in junkyards.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I remember a lot of talk about the clutch set up, but I didn't realize you guys had fixed up hydro systems that worked. Could you take some photos and general info, Tim? The triple Z clutch system I have isn't very efficient, mostly on my left knee. That would be fantastic info!

Fling: I think $400 for an diesel that you know runs is a great price, especially if it's a turbo'd motor. I think the 465/205 would be a great combo as well.
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

Here is the thread about putting stuff on Pistolnut's truck:

SBC to 3053A Progress

It has some pictures of the clutch slave mount. It woked out pretty good.

The welding class is using the camera right now, so I can't get a picture of the clutch master as mounted on Sermis' truck. My truck is at home and Pistolnut has had his truck back for a year now.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

Quote Originally Posted by Flingarrows View Post
    what size slave bore did you use Mikel?
    I used the factory one for a Dodge Ram CTD with the NV4500. Not sure about the bore or travel.

I totally skipped those photos. I might have opened it at work which doesn't allow downloading a majority of the photos here. Thanks Tim, I'll check it out later tonight- gonz
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

The Dodge clutch master has a quarter turn mount and the GM master has a two bolt flange mount. I have used both and think the Dodge version is easier to install. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    Now, if you really want to stay standard. Sermis, Pistolnut and myself have made 88-99 chevy or dodge hydraulic clutch master and slave setups work on our M715's with very good results. I like the dodge version better because it is less holes to drill in the firewall. But, either is great and cheap to find already hooked together in junkyards.
    Thanks for the info. Is there a rod on the master with an eye on the end that allows you to mount to the 715 pedal? did you have to shim it or build a standoff to match the throw on the pedal?
    Thanks, George