Thread: Broken rear door upper door latch

Default Broken rear door upper door latch

I have a broken Mt25 rear door upper door latch. I took it apart to fix it and it means butt-welding the interconnecting rod mounting bracket that is inside the latch. I don't think it will hold. Any ideas? Do any other military door latches fit this vehicle? VPW does not have any latches.

Sometimes when I hit a bump, the rear door flies open. The lower latch only will not hold the door closed.

I have a "wanted" add. Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance,
    Mike Cougler, MSgt, USAF Retired, '72-93
    '67 M725, VIN 10030, Delivery: 7/67
    Rochester, NY

I got mine from Mill Supply. I don't know how to put a link in to the reply.
    Go to http://www.millsupply.com. Click on the step van section, go to door hardware, then latches finger pull. The one that works is #24-366, it's $10.68 each. Was a real close fit to original. I just had to grind down one edge of the pull bar to fit inside the tab on the latch.

Guess it automatically creates a link when you put in the www, learned something today.

Quote Originally Posted by MJCougler View Post
    I have a broken Mt25 rear door upper door latch. I took it apart to fix it and it means butt-welding the interconnecting rod mounting bracket that is inside the latch. I don't think it will hold. Any ideas? Do any other military door latches fit this vehicle? VPW does not have any latches.

Sometimes when I hit a bump, the rear door flies open. The lower latch only will not hold the door closed.

I have a "wanted" add. Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance,
    Hello Mike,
    When you have to weld a round rod back together a trick I learned years ago was to cut 1/2 of the diameter of the rod back about an inch from the ends on opposite sides of both rods "V" them a little and slide them together making the rod round again, Then weld them with a good quality rod and the 1" welds that are running the length of the rod will take the pressure off of the butt welds. Works on all diameters.

God Bless...
    Mike
    BlessedM715

John 15:13
    Greater love has no one than this, That he lay down his life for his friends...

Default Broken M725 rear door upper latch

fasteddie,

Thanks a million! This is another reason this site is great; we are all helping each other out. I just ordered a door latch and a dome light from them. Good prices too!

And they have 24-Volt heaters on sale too!
    Mike Cougler, MSgt, USAF Retired, '72-93
    '67 M725, VIN 10030, Delivery: 7/67
    Rochester, NY