Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pictures of Tailgate Wanted

Question Pictures of Tailgate Wanted

I doubt that I am going to find any tailgates that are in good condition for a while without being ridiculously expensive, so I have decided to try to build my own out of stock steel. My only problem is I have only ever seen one M715 in person, and that is mine without the tailgate. I can kind of guestimate the dimensions but I would really prefer to see what a stock one in good shape clearly looks like. I will also attempt to build the hinges too so I would be very thankfull of anyone who posts detailed pictures of their tailgate and hinge, and possibly even list the deminsions!

Thanks in advance,
    Mike

Hope this helps.

BTW, I believe a member named "foodstamp" was making some.
    Last edited by kyken; September 10th, 2011 at 08:46 AM.
    Thanks for all the help!

When that folds down, those rubber stoppers hit on the bumpers sticking out from the shackles correct? I think that's going to be the hardest thing for me to guess on operation. It looks like the two main pillars going up are 6 inches and the one going across is 2. You can't by chance get any measurements for me could you?

I did read that someone was making replacement ones, but I'm sure after shipping and markup for him ro make profit that it will still be more than I can afford.

I think they would be pretty easy to make for someone moderately good at metal-working. Pick up a tailgate off an old junkyard J-truck and cut out the "JEEP" lettering. It will be a little different dimension, but probably undetectable unless you're looking at it beside a stock one.

Best course of action would be to borrow someone's tailgate for use as a template as you go.

Make several while you're at it and sell the extras! You'll find buyers for sure....
    -- Tim Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by wreckless711 View Post
    When that folds down, those rubber stoppers hit on the bumpers sticking out from the shackles correct?
    Yes, you can see the marks from it in the photo on the bumperettes.

Might be worth buying the steel hinge parts that are already cut to size and make the rest.

Hope this helps!
    Thanks for all the help!

If I had access to an original m715, I would copy it to the exact weld, but as I said mine is the only one I have ever seen in person lol. And also because of where I live, any jeep old enough to have "Jeep" on their tailgate is rusted out so bad that it isn't even worth it.

That diagram is exactly what I needed! I'm still going to figure out the hinges, but I don't think that will be too much of a problem. I have more time than money as of lately lol. I hate to sound so needy, but a close up of the hinges with measurements would be a great start! Thank you so much again!

If no one else chimes in by the time i get home from work Ill take some close up pix for you and get out the tape measure. anything else you wanna see other then the hinges?
    Chris

just thought i'd mention that you can sometimes find just the hinges for sale...

No I think Kyken got all the numbers covered and the picture of the tailgate from him as well makes things fairly clear. Until I'm staring blankly at the pieces of metal lol. It would help to know the overall width of the tailgate.

I've only found one set of hinges online and I lost the bid and my max was 75. I'm hoping to build some for way less...