Thread: clutch problem?

Default clutch problem?

Moved my M715 to a friends farm this summer. You need 4wd to get to the shed that has 3 sides, a dirt floor and no electricity. It ran fine when I drove it up there.

I went out this weekend and it started right up but I can't put it in gear. The clutch must never fully disengage so the tranny never stops turning. I tried shortening and lenthening the rod connected to the clutch pedal without luck.

Is there anything that can get stuck or out of adjustment that wouldn't require dropping the transmission? I've never replaced a clutch before and it won't be much fun where it sits.

Are you trying to go right into first? If so remember 1st and reveres don't have a syncro on them. You have to put the truck into 2nd then shift to 1st. I did the same thing when I first got my truck... If not try rocking the truck to get it to slide in gear with the engine off then bumping the starter with the clutch peddle pushed in. Hope this helps....
    Chris

Possibley a stuck clutch. (clutch disc is rusted to flywheel).

read this posting:

Clutch not working

If you have plenty of room in front of your truck , get in it and put it in first and start the thing with the clutch depressed. More than likely the clutch is rusted to flywheel like hiker mentioned so hit the gas a few times with the clutch pressed in and it should break loose. We used to run rivers years ago and this happened all the time.

Thanks, I will give that a try when I get back out there in a few weeks. Fortunately I backed in and there's empty field in front.

Sounds like a plan to me. Keep us posted!!! and set up a video camera
    Chris

Finally got back out there last weekend and your suggestions did the trick. Thanks for the advice. Sorry, no video but it would have been a snooze.

Started the truck in neutral and let it warm up. Then shut it off, put it in 1st and hit the starter. It lurched forward, started and started rolling. With the clutch pedal still depressed a couple pumps of the gas and the clutch freed up. Woo Hoo!

You may need to have the fly wheel turned and hit the pilot bearing with some grease... Glad everything went ok for you.
    Chris

Once it started and warmed up alittle, did you try running thru the gear pattern? I just had my truck out last week and for the first time in a long time I shifted to 4/wheel and low range transfercase. All at extremely slow speed in a church parking lot. All went well.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"