Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modifying Fenders

Default Modifying Fenders

I checked the archives and saw some mention of the possibility of modifying the radius of the fenders, but I could not see where anyone has done this. I was wondering if anyone has increase the radius to give a couple more inches of clearance without lifting the truck. I am thinking keeping the truck as low as possible but still clearing larger tires (such as 42's) while keeping a somewhat stock look would be cool. My thought was to add a couple inches all the way around the radius of the flare.

I know there could be issues with clearance for the front door as it opens. It looks like the lower front cab corners might need some modification, and the inner fender also.

Has anyone entertained this idea or know of anyone who has done this? Any other perceived problems?

I'm not sure if the clearance your looking for can be gained by doing this because I think the issue everyone has is more of width then height the wheel wells are pretty big without mods its the inside that we tend to hit when turning.......
    Chris

The guy I bought my truck from wheeled it. He had 38.5's on stock rims. Both of the lower rear fender flares were dented back and the bottom of the fender steel was split from contact. I am trying to avoid doing it again.

38 inches is about max for stock but it will bend the sheet metal if you have it flexing that far. I'm not saying don't do this cause it sounds like a good idea but you might look into the turn radius before going with bugger tires. You may find that you need to do a spring over/shackle flip to get the clearance you need anyway because of it. Just food for thought.
    Chris

I modified mine a little on the back corners

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I think it was Hammer (?) who did that a while ago, by re-radiusing the fender flares and cutting the fenders to move them up. Not dead certain if it was him, but it has been done before.

The issue you may run into is that the tires will still rub on the inner fender wells up front and the bed sides underneath the rear. With enough backspacing that probably can be cured, but then you may have to make the flares wider to keep the tires covered if that is a concern.

I can say from personal experience that with a springover and shackle flip, even 42's will rub at full stuff. Especially on the front toward the rear.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

spicer did it, I have pics somewhere, but can't load them at work. let me see if I can find them when I get home.

Thanks for the input. I have 42 MTR's which are a true 42 inches. I put a set of axles out of a M1028 (Dana 60 and 14 bolt) in my truck. I used Hell Creek lift springs in the back and I welded new spring perches in the front to run the Chevy width spring. They line up perfectly under the frame. In the front I used 2 inch Chevy lift springs. I am guessing it sits about the same height as a shackle/spring flip truck.

I have seen a lot of articles on running larger tires on minimally lifted Jeeps by using modified high clearance fenders. I was thinking the same mught be possible with my truck. It seems the rear would be easier. The inner fender well would have to be rebuilt and could be made wider while making it a bigger radius. The fronts would need the inner fender either sectioned and extended or custom made. The outside front cab corners might need some modification as well. I have a good set of fenders and some that are a bit bent. I haven't decided whether I should go for it or not. I was hoping someone may have tried it before, but I could not find anything in the archives.

Thanks for your input. I am open to ideas.

Default oversized tires

I have a m715 with floatation tires. I use it for getting to hunting camps. They also do well in snow. I'm sitting at twenty five below zero with seven plus feet of snow-waiting for summer so I can go boonie truckin

Default Toms truck