Thread: Crank out front windshield?

Default Crank out front windshield?

I finally had a little time now the youngins are back in school and took a trip to Memphis Eqmt. (didn't rain for a couple weeks until I GET THERE!! Had to borrow a plastic garbage bag and hoofed it out back..)
    Just amazing on how much they've got just sitting out back (and in some 715 beds laying on the ground)

ANywho, I got to thinking as I walked the yard looking at all the stuff as I was getting to the dozen or so 715's.
    Since the duece's windshields are flat and crank out, what would it take to make a two piece windshield for the 715? If one tries to make it one piece, you run the risk of cracking it. SO, I found a string in the mud and tried to measure the difference.. About 5-7" too long for the M side to side.

BUT, it's all flat and can be adapted to fit.. I mean, it's only metal. And can be cut and welded.. Boy sure would be nice to just crack the window about 2" as you're cruising at 50 (reminiscent of 'helping' my dad drive our round fendered mack truck with the vent windows cranked in) I'd have to insulate the under hood or I'd be getting all hot air from the engine.

The glass can be cut to fit the slight angle toward the top but other than that, it doesn't look all that bad.
    It's just the 300.00 that I was quoted for a 'good' frame

Anyone who would like to donate would be appreciated..

There was several that were just laying or stacked in a bed but can't say what they came off of, and would hate to lay down the cash and then have to go back for more.

My roof is welded on so I can't flip the whole thing down to the hood.

The bad (for me) is that I wanted to graft in wipers from a ol wagoneer that I found. I would have to come up with some other system from the top.

Whatcha guys think?

Errol

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I know modding a Deuce windshield has been talked about a number of times here, but I am not sure if anyone has actually done it yet. It really shouldn't be that hard and it would definitely make the interior a bit more ventilated, especially with a hardtop in the Summer.

I say do it, and give us all a report with pics!
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Gimpyrobb was making one for an M725...might give you some ideas:

Deuce windshield in a 725

And here is one for an M715:
    Deuce windshield in a 725
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

I'm almost of the opinion that fabbing one from scratch would be the way to go. All that customizing is just going to be a LOT of work. The latch mechanism may be something to use. I hope you do it and it turns out great!

It probably would be 'cheaper' to fab one up and use a small shaft (kinda like the tongue jack on a trailer) and that could be tied off to the other side locking it.
    It would also be neat to make the frame out of polished brass and copper then sealed with clear powder-coating.. Give it a kind of time machine 'bling'.

Thanks Brute for the link. I'll check it out.

Sometimes it gets to about 110deg (heat index), 100% humidity and NO rain in sight.. And that's at almost midnight! And I haven't gotten my air working in my car for over 2yrs, so when I get this thing going, a swing out windshield should be nice. (OH, and putting 1/2" sheets of plywood on the floor for the ol tootsies)

E