Thread: heater decision

Default heater decision

Need some opinions since I dont know how much work to adapt, or how well they work, but I have a stock m715 heater that needs to be cleaned up and restored (not sure if anything is wrong, but some corrosion) and a set up out of a jeep truck, which would you pick? thanks

The M715 style heater is easy to fit to the truck. There are plates you remove on the firewall. The holes are there in the dash for the control cables. It's tough to find all of the control cables and the engine 'L' tube.

Scott
    '67 M715 '67 M725 '69 M726 (x2)

"it's cheap and you get all you can shove in your pie-hole" --Kozmo 12-10-13

I just put in the civy heater. I did not have to drill one hole! Oh, I take that back. The off/on switch on the instrument panel I had to drill. I used a 15 amp breaker switch to be on the safe side. The switch location is describes in the above 'online maintenance manuals'.

Last edited by kyken; July 16th, 2011 at 08:55 AM.
    Thanks for all the help!

Quote Originally Posted by kyken View Post
    I just put in the civy heater. I did not have to drill one hole! Oh, I take that back. The off/on switch on the instrument panel I had to drill. I used a 15 amp breaker switch to be on the safe side. The switch location is describes in the above 'online maintenance manuals'.
    thanks, Im leaning toward the jtruck system, was it easy to adapt to cables? where did you get the cables?

It would just so happen that I have the entire system cables and all from a J10. Let me know if you are interested in it.

RM
    If it ain't broke, it will be.

The cables I got off ebay except the defrost. I made it out of a spare choke cable.
    Thanks for all the help!

Default heater availability

Does anyone know if the "stock" heaters are available in any aftermarket sites? I know 24v Maradyne cab heaters are available to adapt, but it is a lot more work to install one of these.

Thanks,
    Mike Cougler, MSgt, USAF Retired, '72-93
    '67 M725, VIN 10030, Delivery: 7/67
    Rochester, NY

What do you mean by aftermarket? The only heater that fits the M715 is a heater made for a FSJ. Then, the only difference is cable or vacuum operated flaps and if the housing is fiberglass or metal.

The only part 24V is the blower motor. Thousands of miltary surplus 24 volt motors for just about every MV ever made are sitting on shelves at surplus stores. At most a few holes will have to be drilled to make one work. M35 heaters is what I am thinking about as I type.

FSJ's that had a/c had units slung under the dash. So, technically all FSJ air conditioner units were add ons.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/M715-...Q5fAccessories

This is the blower I used. Fit like a glove! I was so excited to find it, I didn't notice the sale said "or best offer" and paid full price.

Also, the J truck's cables I was told will not fit. If you find the newer vacuum heater as I did, it can be converted very easily. Just take the the little diaphragms off and your set. They still have the cable attach points as the old style.

Hope this helps...Ken
    Thanks for all the help!

Quote Originally Posted by kyken View Post
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/M715-...Q5fAccessories

This is the blower I used. Fit like a glove! I was so excited to find it, I didn't notice the sale said "or best offer" and paid full price.

Also, the J truck's cables I was told will not fit. If you find the newer vacuum heater as I did, it can be converted very easily. Just take the the little diaphragms off and your set. They still have the cable attach points as the old style.

Hope this helps...Ken
    good to know about the attach points, Im going to put the original up for sale shortly and go with the jtruck since I have both