Ok folks...not many of you know me, but I have been around a while..(I just seldom post) I am in the process of building a trail rig out of one of my M-715's and am getting to the point I NEED to make a drivetrain choice ASAP...as the topic says...I am trying to decide between the Ford and the Chevy for a power plant.... I am very familiar with both of these engines performance wise...and brand loyalty is not a cocern here or I would be building a Rambler (too small) but which do you all feel would fit the best/offer the best performance?

Some truck plans to allow decent opinions to be offered are as follows.

120" WB running front and rear link suspension (upside down triangulated rear, and probably 3 link front) front coil overs and rear coil springs, Front and rear custom built Eaton axles running 5.14's and Detroits, the front axle running aftermarket inner and outer shafts, and the rear running 40 spline (still working on this as I need to see if the room to broach the Detroits side gears is present, I will know soon) Atlas trnsfer case, custom built to look like OEM rear box (Just shorter and made of aluminum, with removable side pannels) 41" swampers and most likely full hydro steering. That is the basics...the ONLY point I am possibly going to have to change is the Atlas, I REALLY want to run a PTO winch I own in a mid mount position, and the Atlas doesn't do PTO's so....(still debating this) I also plan to keep the weight to 4500lbs ready to wheel.

So, either of these engines will make the 500HP I need/want, and I own them both basically...So...which would you run, and besides loyality to specific brands, WHY would you run it?

NoRM