Thread: stock 230 getting 15 to 17mpg.... possible?????

Default stock 230 getting 15 to 17mpg.... possible?????

I just read on one of the posts on here that a good running stock 230 should get 15 to 17 mpg.....! Is that even reasonable? I have a stock 715 that has never really run well.... and it doesn't run now at all. If it would get anything north of 10 mpg.... I might consider getting a mechanic to look at fixing the 230 versus a transplant....

Any thoughts????

30 mph down hill maybe. 11-12 is the best I ever got stock.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

If you had a set of gears in the 3.00 range, lockout hubs, reasonable size tires, nothing in the truck but a driver, and the engine in perfect order, it might be possible. In stock form, with the gearing what it is, and the brick-like aerodynamics of any MV, I'd say its a stretch to get close to that kind of mileage.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

maybe they are talking about that engine in a normal civi jeep truck/wagee of that era????

Quote Originally Posted by kgstahl View Post
    maybe they are talking about that engine in a normal civi jeep truck/wagee of that era????
    Good point, maybe you have hit on it...

No way are they talking about a military truck. Weight, gears, tires, aerodynamics, don't add up to anywhere near that kind of mpg. I'd love to be north of 10, I'm at 8 on a good day. Was worse than that, but new plugs and wires helped increase the mpg alittle.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by kgstahl View Post
    That would certainly seem plausible. Better gearing, slanted windshield, small tires, 2bbl carburetor, vacuum advance distributor.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

The military usually wanted something that would do the job and certainly contrary to a lot of comment, this truck would get into places and haul where others would not. While I did not use an M715 in Vietnam, I did a lot of driving on dirt (not gravel) roads while stationed in Blanding, Utah. The M715 would go almost anywhere. A lot of guys liked the M151 but that was more like a toy to me. Actually, we had 4 of them flip due to improper driver actions. Anyway, I guess that is the reason for that huge 28 gallon gas tank.

When we drove from Blanding, UT to Lake Powell (which was not full yet!) in 1969, I had 5 gallon Gerry cans strapped inside of the bed from wall to wall, and both external can mounts full. So we had plenty of gas and didn't have to purchase it with our money. (Had about a gallon of engine oil too!) Uncle Sam was not too concerned with gas consumption as long as it could be supplied and the vehicle did the job.

Just an observation. "Your mileage may vary!" (pun intended )

250-300 mile range seems to be the ideal they were looking for. 28 gallon tank in the M715, 50 gallon tank in the M35 Gassers, 100 gallons of fuel in the 5 tons, etc...
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I have gotten around 12 mpg the last two tanks of fuel in my truck, that is all 10 miles or less trips, I think i could squeeze a little more out of a longer trip but not much more. thats with a stock motor with a stock non vaccum advance distributor but the timing is bumped up 6-8 degrees more.

Duane