Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My rear end choices..?

Default My rear end choices..?

Good morning guys, I went digging around and found several candidates for rear ends.
    I would rather not get any ford products but it seems that most all the HD rears have been scavenged through one way or another.
    These are the rears that I found, BUT I'm stopped by MY lack of knowledge just by looking can't tell the difference between a Dana, Spicer, 14bolt or _____.

1-'79 Dodge short bus 8lug
    2-'85 Chevy silverado 8lug (had a 6cyl from the factory??)
    3-'69 f250 8-lug
    4-'88 f350 ambulance turned to a church van 8-lug (lots of nice lighting and even an inverter.. Don't know really how to get it out, but it's there and MINE!!)
    5-'86 f350 crew cab/ dually 8-lug
    6-'99 f250 DISC REAR!! 8-lug (missing p/s axle/brake assy.) (tops of U-bolts cut off with torch so nuts won't come off easy)
    7-'96/97 Dodge 1500 18pass church vans.. Both have an 8 lug and big brake drum but don't know what they are.
    8-'66 International 1200 series with a BIG rear, stock V8/manual trans ?spd, 15" split rim wheel.. (pretty much all there too!!)

NO, I don't own a camera phone.. so I can't get clear pics of them.
    BUT I really want to go back and get that Disc rear one.. I'll MAKE IT WORK!!

Just would like info on how to search which models had what under them.

Thanks in advance.
    Errol

Quote Originally Posted by 77amc View Post
    Good morning guys, I went digging around and found several candidates for rear ends.
    I would rather not get any ford products but it seems that most all the HD rears have been scavenged through one way or another.
    These are the rears that I found, BUT I'm stopped by MY lack of knowledge just by looking can't tell the difference between a Dana, Spicer, 14bolt or _____.

1-'79 Dodge short bus 8lug
    2-'85 Chevy silverado 8lug (had a 6cyl from the factory??)
    3-'69 f250 8-lug
    4-'88 f350 ambulance turned to a church van 8-lug (lots of nice lighting and even an inverter.. Don't know really how to get it out, but it's there and MINE!!)
    5-'86 f350 crew cab/ dually 8-lug
    6-'99 f250 DISC REAR!! 8-lug (missing p/s axle/brake assy.) (tops of U-bolts cut off with torch so nuts won't come off easy)
    7-'96/97 Dodge 1500 18pass church vans.. Both have an 8 lug and big brake drum but don't know what they are.
    8-'66 International 1200 series with a BIG rear, stock V8/manual trans ?spd, 15" split rim wheel.. (pretty much all there too!!)

NO, I don't own a camera phone.. so I can't get clear pics of them.
    BUT I really want to go back and get that Disc rear one.. I'll MAKE IT WORK!!

Just would like info on how to search which models had what under them.

Thanks in advance.
    Errol
    As an International collector I would have to say stay away from the 66 1200 rearend. It should be a 6 lug that shares the same goofy pattern as our 715's. The brake drums are made from unobtanium from what I have been told.

The 99 Ford rearend is going to have a 8x170 mm pattern so you will have to get a 99 and newer Superduty frontend to match. I actually had some superduty axles I was going to put under one of my 715's. The rear fits great, the front not so good. There isn't much room between the knuckle and pumpkin on the drivers side. You will have to change the transfercase too.

Decide on what you want to run for your front axle and try to get a pair from a 4x4 with the gearing you want. This will save you some money in the long run. I think it is 86-91 ford front Dana 60's are the closest thing to a bolt in axle for the 715's. I think my first choice would be the Dodge van, then the Ford Ambulance or dually.

Easy & quick is a GM 14 bolt - found under about a billion vehicles by now.
    Around here they are about $300 in good condition - add another $150 or so for a rear disk brake conversion and you have a hella heavy duty axle that you can get parts for anywhere and has more gearing/locker choices than just about anything but a Ford 9"

My $.02

I should add that I am definitely a Ford guy, but my truck is running GM axles (D60/14b) because of the correct passenger side drop and the price involved.
    भगवान तुम्हें प्यार करता है

I also vote for the 14 bolt rear for the reasons noted above. If you can find some out of a Chevy CUCV M1008, 1028, etc., you will get 4.56 gears and a rear Detroit Locker. If you find an M1028, you will also get a limited slip front differential. They are a fairly simple install. You may spend a little more for the CUCV axles up front, but you will avoid the cost of adding a locking differential and possibly needing to switch gearing. 4.56 gears work well.

Sorry, but you guys loose me on these names.
    M-1008, 1028..

ANd these dually rears, Does one just pull the spacers off and get shorter studs?

E

Quote Originally Posted by 77amc View Post
    Sorry, but you guys loose me on these names.
    M-1008, 1028..

ANd these dually rears, Does one just pull the spacers off and get shorter studs?

E
    Those are the 80's Chevy Pickups the military used and you can find alot of them on the surplus market now. I can't remember the exact numerical designation for which model but I believe the M-1028 is going to be a Chevy PU with a 14 bolt rear with a detroit locker and a Dana 60 front with 4.56 gears.

Depends on the dually rear. Most the older stuff is no. Some of the newer stuff is yes.

Here are the CUCV trucks:

M1008-Dana 60 open knuckle 8 lug front axle with lock out hubs and disc brakes.

14 bolt corporate 8 lug rear with a Detroit locker and drum brakes.

4.56:1 gears

M1009- 10 bolt 6 lug axles with 3.08:1 gears. Don't get these.

M1010-Same as M1008 in every way with the axles.

M1028A1-Same as M1008 except with dual rear wheels. Some had limited slip fronts.

M1031-Same as 1028a1 except no bed, made for a service box. Most also had married NP205 passenger side drop tcases. All the rest had the non pto fitting chain drive NP208.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I LOVE YOU GUYS.. Really I do.. BUT I really don't understand whatcher talkin about with all these:
    M1009, M1010, M1028 yadda yadda stuff..

What about year, make and model. OR better yet pics. With my CRS, pics really help out tons.

I've been reading up on threads to the point of getting seeing flowers when I close my eyes.. And it looks that the axles can be cheap, it's the rims and tires that will put me out of budget. SO, I'm gonna gather info at this time.

Errol

All the Chevy CUCV trucks, 1008, 1009, 1028, 1031 were 1984 models. They might have been made from '83-'86, but they were all design frozen as 1984 trucks. That is why the year is never really listed. It doesn't matter.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

AAaahh.. OK
    Just so happens that A friend/concrete 'guy' that's' pouring some for us has a roll-over damaged ol Dodge 3/4-1-ton at his house that's just sitting.. Going out to measure the axles next Saturday.

I just might get the whole thing and swap at my convenience and scrap the rest.
    E