Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stock tank modification

Default Stock tank modification

What have people done to modify their stock tank for an EFI motor swap? Didn't have very good luck on searches. Hoping for a write-up but didn't find one.

I'm not running fuel injection but my truck came with an external electric fuel pump that is mounted on the truck tool box under the bed near the tank. I don't know why a higher psi pump couldn't be used in a similar setup for fuel injection. No need to modify the tank I would think.

I cut the top of a newer tank out for the pickup, fuel sender/camlock assembly. About four inches from the outer edge of the camlock opening. I then cut a hole in the top of the 715 tank and welded it in. To be sure it didn't leak, I then liberally soldered over the weld. The heat from the torch caused some warpage of the tank but not too serious. I would skip that step if doing it again though. The pick up and fuel sender float have to be modded for the deeper tank. The pickup unit I used was from a 77 chevy van I had scrapped. It has three or four tubes coming out. A vent, a fuel line, a return line, and maybe one more--I don't remember. This method allows you to put whatever pickup from a donor vehicle you want and allows the return line and easy access to the pickup sock, etc. for servicing. I plan to have Howell fuel injection on the 401 and will use the fuel return line for that and an in line pump. I really think an in tank pump would be more work since the tank depth is so much deeper than a donor vehicle will have.

Also, Christian Hazel did some small write up on his method in JP magazine when he converted to fuel injection. You might want to search their site and see if it pops up.

I'm going to be using and inline fuel pump. I'll do a quick look for Hazel's write up but I don't recall it.

Quote Originally Posted by wrecker View Post

Also, Christian Hazel did some small write up on his method in JP magazine when he converted to fuel injection. You might want to search their site and see if it pops up.
    Found it thanks.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I've been running a Holley Pro-Jection for the last three years. I used a frame mounted high pressure pump, and an otherwise stock tank. I did use the vent line on the filler neck as a return, but I had to make a 90 degree fitting to direct the fuel returning down into the neck, otherwise it would tend to get wet around the cap when it was running from the fuel splash.

You also need to be sure to use the vented style fuel cap if you go that route.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

I built this one for my diesel, but it operates similar to a EFI engine (supply/return) Its 3" shorter than stock for a little better clearance.

I saved all dimensions and can make more if anyone wants a Aluminum tank

Quote Originally Posted by powerstroke715 View Post
    I saved all dimensions and can make more if anyone wants a Aluminum tank

How much?...including shipping to Spencer, MA 01562

Quote Originally Posted by powerstroke715 View Post
    I built this one for my diesel, but it operates similar to a EFI engine (supply/return) Its 3" shorter than stock for a little better clearance.

Wow, that is a beauty! Nice work.