Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: battery cable hookup

i have read the procedure for hooking up the batterys. as soon as i touch the positive lead it starts welding itself to the post. the switch in the cab is off. i have cleaned all the cable ends and where they connect. i put in a new ground from block to frame. the wires on the pushbutton to starter are tight. the only thing not right is the pushbutton on the floor, the top is missing.it still goes in and out though. the starter turns the motor just fine except for all the sparks from the battery,lol, any help would be greatly appreciated because i am at a loss as what to do next. thanks , larry

2. Default battery cable hookup

sounds like a short (+ touching the frame maybe?)
    I would check the connection at the floor pushbutton 1st.
    1969 M715

i have traced the cables from battery to button to starter back to the dash on/off switch. everything seems to be in good shape. could the pushbutton be shorted out on the inside? i haven`t messed with one in 25 years.

try disconnecting it from the battery side of the starter switch and see if it still sparks when you put the cable back on and if not, replace your starter switch and if it does still, check the battery wire to the disconnect switch for shorting out, then the same thing at the generator and keep trying til you isolate the problem. hope to be of some help. It is ground cable to -, (1st battery), + to -, (second battery), + to starter switch and disconnect switch, isnt it, for 24 volts systems.
    67 M725, 67 M715, 68 M715

Default m885's

yes it`s stock. if you leave the on/off switch in the on position and hook up the ground wire the engine turns over, really fast for a six cylinder i believe. i can find no shorts. i know i need a new starter switch[ the pushbutton on the floor] the top is missing. it still goes in and out , but it seems sluggish. thanks for the help, i will check the dash switch in the morning. 30 x 50 shop and no more room. thanks, larry

by the way is the pushbutton 24volt? and does anyone have an extra? or can i get one at a parts store. thanks, larry

I'd start with the starter switch. Pull the cables off it and see if the battery cables still try to weld themselves.

I have a used starter switch, condition untested. I'll sell it for a days worth of hard times on mr. Sisson. PM or email your address and I'll have it your way soon.

Chris

chris, i do appreciate it. larry

9. Default

if you leave the on/off switch in the on position and hook up the ground wire the engine turns over,
    Larry-From what you are saying, the Floor switch is burnt out(or stuck on!)
    My truck will turn over with the ignition(key) on or off(stepping on the floor switch),but will not start unless the ignition(key) is turned on.
    If yours turns over with the ignition(key) on and you ground it, that sounds like the floor switch is stuck.
    1969 M715

I agree get the foot starter switch out of there and replace it. On military trucks they will crank when you hit the foor starter switch but wont fire if the on/off switch is in the off position. The on/off switch puts power to your gages and your coil etc. The foot starter switch cranks the starter and that's all. Also check your head light switch and make sure you don't have a proplem there. But most likely it is your foot starter switch.
    Zone holster maker