Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ignition Timing, Rotor Rotation

Default Ignition Timing, Rotor Rotation

I am trying to get my truck running. (I was told it did run; I am skeptical!) Number one plug wire is at about 3 O'clock, not 1 O'clock. That could be if the oil pump has been removed so I am not too concerned about that now.

I know the firing order is: 1 - 5 - 3 - 6 - 2 - 4

But I cannot find documentation anywhere on the rotation direction. Looking at the distributor, I "think" mine turns counter-clockwise. I live alone and can't get someone to help but either mashing on the starter button whilst I watch.

The plug wires were installed on the ignitor in clockwise rotation. Can anyone help please? I was getting some backfiring when trying to start. That is why I always have the air cleaner installed!

Thanks in advance,
    Don

Distributor rotation is counter clockwise when viewed from the top.

The plug wires should also be installed in the distributor cap in a counter clockwise direction following the firing order.

Thanks Hiker! It runs now. First time I have driven an M715 since 1970. I will post the results in the thread that continues.

I appreciate all of your help guys! Now, I can see lots of light at the end of the tunnel...

You can also usually grab the radiator fan and use it as a lever (through the belt reduction) to turn the engine back and forth a bit by hand, if you ever have this problem on another vehicle.

--Randy

Quote Originally Posted by randygar View Post
    You can also usually grab the radiator fan and use it as a lever (through the belt reduction) to turn the engine back and forth a bit by hand, if you ever have this problem on another vehicle.

--Randy
    Precisely. Since the engine had not been run for over two years, it was a little stiff. I bumped it with the starter and was surprised because it appeared that the rotor was turning counter-clockwise. I was skeptical because I knew the wires were oriented clockwise. So after I bumped the engine over a little, it loosened up and I was able to use the fan to turn the engine and therefore watch the rotation of the rotor. I thought to myself, "It can't be that simple... can it?" It was. And it made sense since when I attempted a first start earlier in the week, it sounded like it was out of time, with some spitting back into the air cleaner. It was out of time... Big Time. Wires to plugs 1 & 2 were reversed as well as 5 & 6. Wires to 3 & 4 were OK.

Tomorrow, I won't have time to continue because I have to get ready for a week of smallmouth bass fishing in Sturgeon Bay, WI. I will pick it back up in a week. I really can't go anywhere until I get the gas tank. Maybe soon?

Thanks for all of the help and support. I do appreciate it and this truck will be a familiar sight on Fernandina Beach, FL. But I don't think that Wayne Carini will be looking for me at the RM Vintage Motorcars Auction in Amelia Island, FL...

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cavey View Post
    I really can't go anywhere until I get the gas tank.
    Find a random 4-foot-ish length of fuel line, couple it to the line under the bed, stick it in the jerrycan on the holder right next to it...

--Randy

Here is what I did this week just to get it going. Brand new can and the gas sloshes out of the top. I can wait since I know it runs now.

Is this what you were talking about? Custom made fuel line connected to the regular fuel line.

Exactly. Just add some duct tape to stop the sloshing.

--Randy

Now thats funny but effective lmao
    Chris