Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stock dist gear worn out?

Default Stock dist gear worn out?

I took the 725 out to a living history event this weekend. Drove it about two hours and all was fine. The event was just off a base so i took it on post to get some chow and it died. Tried most of the normal stuff that becomes an issue and it wouldn't start. Left it there overnight then towed it out.
    The engine sputters and backfires but wont run. the engine is getting fuel. Took the dist cap off and the rotor off and found that the dist shaft spins by hand. From what I have been told it should not move by hand which makes sense as the gears below would be engaged.
    Just looking to see if this all makes sense before i start to get parts. Also wondering if anyone has had this happen before. And how big of a repair it will be.

Thanks
    Doc

The bottom of the 230 distributor shaft has a screwdriver tip on it. In between the top and the bottom, there is a joint with a pin that holds the upper and lower shaft pieces together...I bet that pin broke.

If so, you need to pull the housingand extract the lower part of the shaft and any pin remnants...if there isnt damage that keeps you from just repining it then the hard part is gonna be lining up the 2 halves correctly...I think they can go either right or 180 degrees out of phase.
    Technically it would work either way but it would be best to put it in right...

If that is your problem, I can work with you to get it connected properly...I have done this before with another member.

Start by pulling the housing out and see what you find.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

That would make sense. Uncle sam has me going away for a bit here but I am going to try to get it taken apart before I leave. I will let you know, thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Doc

I took this apart today and found that the screwdriver tip end is still there and it is all one piece. When I put it back in the dist end did not spin however the engine would not fire right.

Any ideas? I am guessing there is a right way that it needs to go in?

Thanks
    Doc

If you look carefully at the bottom of thedistributor shaft and at the slot that it fits into, they both have one end wider than the other and one end narrower...it isnt just like a flat blade screwdriver tip in that regard. Match the wide end of the shaft to the wide end of the gear and bolt it in.

Wonder why it free spun before but doesnt now...could the housing have been loose enough that the shaft could have been pushed up by the spinning gear down there?

Might be important...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Ok that makes sense now.

I am not sure about why it was out. I am guessing that the bolt that holds the dist down may have come loose. However with all that being said it still will not run. I am kinda at a loss on this one....

If you put it in backwards, it wont run...or if it did, it would run poorly.

I would make sure it is in correctly...then make sure the rotor rip points at the #1 post of the cap when the motor is known to be at TDC on the compression stroke...good referenced place to start.

ok thanks for the info going to work on it a bit then go get my son ill let you know how it goes!

Went out and took it apart. I could only put the shaft in one way so not sure if that is right? Checked all the points and all that and cleaned them. Tried to start it and it turned over and then would bog down occasionally. Not sure what is going on. I took the meter to it and have power at the coil and at the rotor.

Any ideas?

Did you pull a plug and check for spark while cranking?