Thread: transmision oil leak

Default transmision oil leak

I keep lossing oil out the back of the trans. there are two bolt in the back you can't get to???

any tips on fixing the leak short of pulling the trans.??

on the trans or the transfer case? I am not sure wich 2 bolts you are talking about< when i go outside , I will lay under my truck and look and see if I can figure it out.

Duane

The two at the top of the carrier for the output shaft should be accessable if you take the trans hump off in the cab. Where is it leaking? Out the output shaft? or the housing?
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

it looks to be comming out from behind the rear transmision mount bracket , parts break down shows some mount bolts hidden there or thr lower gear cluster shaft is leaking

There are 2 bolts on the rear face of the trans that have a tendancy to back out and leak...at least the lower one for sure is in the fluid range and leaks...

I lost that one one day and drove home from puling out a tree stump...didnt lose too much lube but needed to get a new bolt. I did find the old one, threads were nowhere near as tight as when they were made.

I put the new bolt in with locktite and didnt have a problem.

They are shown as studs in this image...#7 with nuts...they were bolts on my truck and all the ones I have seen:

Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

I am in the middle of this fix and have an issue. The threads were not the best and I want to put a longer bolt in. Are there any issues with clearence, and how long a bolt have other people used?
    Thanks

I dont remember the bolt length...maybe I can go pull one...it seems to me that one wouldnt want to get much longer than stock if it can be avoided as there are internals in there somewhere...I would stick to stock length.

I did use lockwashers on those 2 bolts and locktite...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Their would be no advantage to installing a longer bolt. With trans gears turning, you could be asking for more problems.New bolts yes, longer than stock, no.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

The reason I was going with a longer bolt was that the threads were just starting to catch in the case and the original shorter bolt didn't bite into the threads( I did put in new bolts). I ended up having to helicoil the hole that was causing the problems. The original bolt is 1 inch. I am using Medium Locktite and will continue to monitor.
    Thanks for a the help and responses.