Thread: fuel gauge reading full

Default fuel gauge reading full

Hey folks,

My fuel gauge reads full, even when I know there's not a drop of fuel in the tank. I figure the problem is probably a shorted wire.
    However, my m715 has been converted to 12v and I'm pretty sure the fuel sending unit and gauge are both 24v. My question is whether I can use the gauge (since I'd like to keep that stock) and just replace the sending unit and fix the wire short.

Thanks.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

If you have a stock gauge and sender and the truck has been converted to 12 volts, then there is part of the problem.

You will need a 12 volt gauge and sender. The 24 volt original isn't going to work on 12 volts and there are only a few senders that will work with the stock configuration anyway as they read opposite of most sending units of the time. That is, resistance-wise.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Well that stinks. Expected though. Thanks for the input Randy.

You can get a sending unit and matching gauge as a set from NAPA...part number: 501-1742

This link may work for you:
    https://napaonline.com/Catalog/Resul...&Dk=1&Dp=3&N=0

For my zip code is $42.99...your price may vary...

This bolts into the stock gas tank...wire it up and go!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

I was reading through so posts and ran across this one and thought I would respond since I had this issue.

Be sure and ground your sending unit. I even had the ground wire made and ready to install and forgot to attach it. I had to drop the tank AGAIN to install it. Issue fixed!

As mentioned above, you have to have a complete circuit for the gauge. If you have no connection or an open connection, the gauge will read full. You might try just running a jumper wire from the tank to the frame (clean metal for good contact of course) and see if your reading changes. Quick and dirty as they say...

Default fuel gauge

i have a question for u my truck isstock 24 volts and my fuel gauge is also stuck on empty or full when i tap it it moves from empty to full or vice versa help

Check the grounds on the dash panel and the tank. Read through the -20 manual and it talks you through some of this troubleshooting.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw