Thread: M715 body on a modern frame.

Default M715 body on a modern frame.

I finally dropped a valve in the #3 cylinder! The 2000 - 2006 gmc 3/4 ton looks like the best candidate. It's 130 inches in the standard cab configuration and the 2000-02 models still have a cable from the peddle to the butterfly.

I've got two weeks of vacation I must take soon. I have an ad in the memphis area Craig's list for a flooded or storm damaged truck. My budget is tight until alimony ends in november.

Any suggestions on a more suited doner?

Is the existing M715 frame bad?

Why not just modify the M715 frame to accept new running gear? I think it would take less time and energy to remove the entire engine, transmission and transfer case from the donor vehicle and fit it into your frame. There are many suggestions for axle swaps on this forum as well.

I also believe it is easier to swap modern running gear on to the M715 frame. Unless you have a badly damaged frame, I would simply swap drive train and powertrain.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

One issue I have with doing a body swap, is that well, it usually looks like a body swap. You can tell something isn't right.

Were it me, I'd pull the drivetrain from the donor and fit it to the stock frame. It will all adapt much easier, and body mounts, frame width, steering box, etc will all be standard stuff.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

The frame and running gear is cherry. All I do with it is haul the kids and fishing poles with it.

I want a totally new suspension, disk brakes all around, a smoother ride, greater stock and aftermarket parts availability, and better fuel economy.

Seems to me it would be easier to fab body risers and weld to frame than cutting driveshafts and calculating geometry.

I do need to compare frames in greater detail to avoid the chopped look!

Frame stations for gm 2002
    http://www.gmupfitter.com/publicat/2..._Truck_New.pdf
    Pages 117 to 119

You could use half ton or 3/4 ton springs to soften the ride. A disc brake conversion on a rear 14 bolt axle is very easy. With a fuel injected engine and overdrive transmission, I would think there would not be a great deal of difference fuel economy wise. Obviously, the M-715 body is not as aerodynamic as a newer style truck so you may lose a couple MPG.

I used 3/4 ton Chevy front springs and replacement rear lift springs for a 3/4 ton J truck for the rear. The ride should be better and offer more axle articulation. I would think fabbing new spring mounts, and engine/trans mounts is a lot easier than new body mounts. As said earlier, the end result is usually a body that looks like it doesn't fit the donor frame.

Good luck either way.