Thread: Radiator troubles

Default Radiator troubles

Im looking for advice on other radiators that fit a stock 68 Kaiser. I dont mind do some fabricating thats reasonable. Thanks for any info.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Just hit e-bay or any radiator shop and look for a Jeep CJ to V-8 conversion radiator. That's the one people use when installing a small-block Chevy into a Jeep CJ.

It literally is a bolt in and the hose outlets are in the stock locations. You can get it in an aluminum or brass variety. The only thing you'll need to change is to elongate two of the mounting holes by about 1/4" to line up with the stock radiator mounting points on the core support. Oh, and they can be had in bigger capacity 2 or 3 row last I looked, if you want more cooling capacity.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Just from a bit of reading in the past, there seems to be 3 or 4 paths to follow:
    • Find a stock replacement
    • use a 67 chevelle radiator - mild mods with support and hoses
    • use a summit radiator - same
    • Use a Griffin, speedway, CJ rv8 replacement, or other radiator - same

Here is a thread that addressed some of the above:Summit Radiator
    I bought a speedway aluminum, and moved the passenger side support. I still have yet to place the engine and run it up, but maybe it will give you a viable option
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

I don't want to beat a dead horse or cause any arguments, so please take this for what its worth:

I've seen a million ideas, but the CJ-V8 conversion is a bolt-in. Bolt-in, as in it fits exactly with the exception of the two bottom mounting holes missing by literally 1/4" and that can be taken care of with a round file if necessary. The hose outlets are in the same location as the original radiator, and the cap is off to one side, but it has no clearance issues. It also has a cooler built in if you decide to convert to something else powertrain-wise later or add power steering.

The Chevelle, and other radiators do need a fair amount of work, and for a stocker, that seems to be a turn off for most. I'm using a CJ conversion radiator to cool a Big Block Chevy and didn't need to initially modify my core support. I did however modify it later to move the radiator forward for other reasons, but it would not have been necessary. Again, this isn't the only way, but it literally is the easiest, cheapest and fastest way to do it.

That sounds like good solid advise Randy, I am just regurgitating what I have read, since mine isnt up and running yet. I went with the speedway radiator because it was under $150, and I dont mind moving the brackets
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

Everything fits if you have a sawzall and a roll of baling wire.

(Seriously. I've seen this. A lot....)

--Randy

Thanks guys great advice. I think I'll go with CJ conversion. I was thinking going brass so I could repair it if it takes a hit. This site is a must for Kaiser owners.

If there is a bolt in unit if even partial get it. I just swapped my radiator out for a universal one with no bolts at all so all custom brackets a real pia in my opinion

While on the subject, is there a fan shroud that is similar or the same as our M715? My shroud has the top 18 inches missing .

For a stocker, I don't believe anyone has found anything available or even close in a replacement fan shroud. The originals that do exist are much like yours and even in one piece, they are fragile at best.