Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: filler neck extension purpose?

Default filler neck extension purpose?

What is the extension inside the filler neck for? It pulls out like 8 or 10 inches and if you twist it, it comes out altogether. I never noticed it on my other truck, but its there, too.

Scott
    '67 M715 '67 M725 '69 M726 (x2)

"it's cheap and you get all you can shove in your pie-hole" --Kozmo 12-10-13

Filling the tank with a jerry can.
    DaveJ

There's nothing whatsoever inside the filler neck on mine... Just a hollow metal tube with a rubber elbow on the bottom.

--Randy

Only thing in my filler neck is the cone shaped filter screen. Never ever saw anything like you are talking about. A jerry can with the proper spout is all thats needed to function properly. An extension would only cause you to lift the 5 gallon can higher. 5 gallons of gas is already heavy enough. Definetly need to do some research on what that item is in your filler neck. We're all interested in an answer I'm sure. Keep us posted.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

I have that same extension on my 725 but not on the 715. It was for ease of filling the tank since the filler neck does not stick out past the side of the body. On the 715 the filler neck is easy to get at to empty a jerry can into it quickly. I would guess that they probably used it on the maintenance body for the same reason.
    M715
    M725
    48 Willys PU
    49 Willys Jeepster
    59 Willys Wagon
    76 Cherokee Chief
    97 Jeep GC
    02 Jeep TJ
    It's a Jeep Thing!

I drilled out a broken jerry can spout for a 2" hole, and welded a foot of 2" muffler tubing through it. Can't beat it for pour speed.

There's no obvious evidence of anything being removed from my filler neck, or where such an extension would be.

--Randy

The filler neck extension is a insert that slides in. It has 3 lugs that allow it to stay in the extended position when it is pulled out and twisted. You wouldn't know it was missing by looking except for the 3 notches in the filler neck. There should also be a small cone-shaped screen at the bottom of the filler neck to stop any debris from getting into the fuel tank.

And the filler neck is absolutely necessary for filling the 725, 726 and 724 trucks from a jerry can.

So are you saying Kwai, that all filler necks on our trucks have the capability of housing an extension? That's news to me. Just when you thought their wasn't anything else to learn about the truck. Interesting. I'll check mine out in the morning. All the years in the Army motorpool, and I can honestly say I've never come across this before. Weird.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Here are the photos. The whole neck is removed from the truck.

Here it is looking down the neck with the insert all the way down inside:

[IMG][/IMG]

With the insert pulled out to the stops:

[IMG][/IMG]

With the insert removed:

[IMG][/IMG]

The insert pulls out to the stops. Turn 1/8 turn and it locks out. Turn 1/8 the other way and it pulls out for removal.

Scott
    '67 M715 '67 M725 '69 M726 (x2)

"it's cheap and you get all you can shove in your pie-hole" --Kozmo 12-10-13

Thanks for the pics and such Scott.
    I have heard of these extensions but never seen one before...good info!!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!