Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Floor starter switch

Default Floor starter switch

Now that my new starter in in and working fine, I'm wondering if it's a good idea to pick up a NOS floor starter switch as a spare just in case. Their's a couple out there on e-bay still in the original box, but they're not cheap. Is one that's listed as a jeep switch the same 24 volt one that's needed for our trucks? Is getting one just in case, overkill, or having a spare the correct way to go? Are their any alternatives, or NOS the only way? Thanks.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

There is one on the auction site that the guy wants $89.95 for it and AB Linn has them often for $15. I think that the AB Linn switch may be new construction, not NOS. But it is the correct one...

Thanks Don, I saw the one for $89.00. That's fairly high don't you agree? I guess I don't have to have a NOS one, I just thought it would be better quality, and made to last. I figured the government would ask for one that could take the abuse of soldiers pushing it down with boots on, and not worrying about whether or not they're being hard on it. There's no hurry, as I said mine works fine, I was just wondering if it would be the next thing that's going to fail on me. It's kinda nice to have a few spare parts around that are prone to breakage. Thanks.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

I was looking for a foot starter switch because my truck has a key switch and I want to get it back to as original as possible. I looked for a long time and even bought one from someone else for $16. But when I got it, it was way different in size, much smaller. The $89 one was on the auction site for quite some time but I just couldn't bring myself to dropping that kind of money. Then, AB Linn had one for $15 and no one bid on it except me. It is OD color but I suspect it is modern construction, not NOS. It fits perfectly but I have not tried it yet. I still have lots to do. That will be in another thread; I won't hijack yours___

As a general rule, I don't buy spares for any part that can be easily bypassed on the side of the road. Since the starter switch can be bypassed relatively easily, I wouldn't get a spare for it.

--Randy

Randy, you must be talking about hot wiring the starter. Is their a heavy-duty momersentary toggle switch that would do the job? Something like the Nascar drivers use to start their racecars?

Dunno. If I were stranded, I'd just use my jumper cables to the lug on the starter. If for some reason I didn't have jumpers with me, I'd use the wire to the alternator.

--Randy

I recall seeing one of the guys here on the zone saying that Tractor Supply has a near match for a floor switch pretty. cheap. The closest TSC to you in in Princeton (not too close). I saw one at Farm and Fleet a week ago. The closest one of those is on route 30 in Aurora
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

here was the post:
    Quote Originally Posted by randyscycle View Post
    Just shoot over to a local Tractor Supply and pick up one of these, or order it online:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tractor...-1940--0236643

The starter motor might require a rebuilder. Not sure if there are any 24V new ones around, but if there are, VPW, Memphis Equipment, or AB Linn would be your most likely sources.
    or here:
    http://www.farmandfleet.com/products...dTisco%26p%3d1
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

I have two of the switches for civvy jeeps. They are much lighter but appear they would work. Mr Bob Cowan sold me one after listing it as "NOS" You are welcome to it for the price of free if you want a spare.