Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HMMWV Tires

Default HMMWV Tires

Anyone -
    Got a deal on 4 HMMWV tires on 8.25" 2 piece rims, 36"x12.5" tires for $500 or OBO.
    Currently have 35x12.5x15" BFG All Terrains, mounted on 15x10 rims w/ 4" backspacing on a Dana 44 3/4 ton. Regular Chevy steering t the bottom and up front.

Looking to switch to the HMMWV tires w/ the rims. Wondering if they maybe fitting problems with rubbing that anyone may know of for the steering or the springs even with the minimal backspacing offered w/ these rims?

Right now got one flat tire, and finding a set of four BFGs is expensive, and besides want bigger meats anyway!

Thanks,
    Dave

I'm not 100% but they should be fine. you're running the same with tire and only a 1/2" taller overall they should work and correct me if I'm wrong but those tires are on a 16.5 rim so I know you don't have the back spacing but the bigger rim may give some more clearance
    Last edited by Alaska hunter; April 30th, 2011 at 08:44 PM.

Did you get the radials or Bias because one is taller than the other

Not sure on bias or radial, however the rim I know to be a 16.5".

Believe another item that should help, have a spring over axle design. My biggest fear was rubbing at full left and right turns.

Thanks for the insight already.
    Dave

I cant see you rubbing because i put 40 x 16.5 x 16 pit bull rockers on my stock axles with marsh rims 16x 12 with 5.5 backspacing and still have stock spring under axles and they just rubb alittle when i turn lock to lock but i plan on sliding front axle forward 1 inch and this will stop the rubbing

I do believe the 36" tires are bias ply, and the 37" are radials.

So everyone knows. I have managed to put the tires on - 37.5 x12.5 on 16.5 rims w/ 8.25" backspacing on a 3/4 Dana 44 axle spring over lifted.
    Tire fits.
    Problem #1 - too much backspacing or in need of a bigger rim!
    Rim is not an option right now, so in an effort to use the rubber, will be purchasing longer studs and 1/2" or 3/4" wheel spacer. The longer studs will be nice in the long run just because. Plan on posting some pics, will put it on another thread, but will explain those items there.

Thanks,
    Dave

Default Dana 60

DOES THE DANA 60 PINION HAVE THE SAME OFFSET AS THE Dana 70 going to install 4;54 gears

I believe if you want to use those rims you will need to have them re-centered. Look on Pirate 4X4, and you will find places that do it for a fairly reasonable price.

Larry H - I have no idea on the offset for the Dana 70 or 60. If you happen to have the 14 bolt I might be able to help.

Everyone - I got the tires mounted and they work beautifully! I grabbed a pair of 2" spacers from Pirate 4x4 ($146 approx), took a week to get them. In the process of now driving around town taken the wheel off and then tightening the spacer and the wheel back on.
    I promise to get some pics so everyone can see. In conjuction with this I just finished the swap from 6 lug Dana 44 to 8 lug dana 44! So proud of myself I am! The first was a PITA, the second took one hour. The family was amazed.

Thanks,
    Dave