Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: "Feels like the first time" or "Round 2, Fight!"

Default "Feels like the first time" or "Round 2, Fight!"

Well a while back I had to get rid of my M project. Now that things have settled back down the wife went and got me a "new" one. It's a pass down project, but was full of new or low use stuff. It was kinda like a treasure chest full of cool stuff. Well after about a month of staring at it and scratching a few things, I've got some direction for it. I'm going to do a body swap with our 01 Ram 2500 chassis to make it a little more "general use" friendly. I haven't decided on the engine 100% yet, but I'm leaning to either a 4bt or a non-IC 6bt. I'm going to build my 2wd NV4500 into a 4wd and keep the stock Ram NV241. It'll be a long project, but it's way easier when the whole family is behind it. Happy wheeling.

Hmm...well the cab's off and in the garage now. I started sanding it and found a HUGE dent filled with Bondo. It took about 15 minutes to knock it out enough that a "normal" skim of Bondo will do to make it look good. Found a few small rust holes, less than 1/4" diam. But the PO must have had stock in Bondo cause there is a layer of it over the entire cab between the original ODG and the latter tan. It doesn't need to be on the panels though, it's like the guy had it laying around so he applied it. I'm gonna have the bed off next week, hopefully. My removal date has been pushed back a while cause I'm waiting on free stuff to show up.

I got the NV4500 rebuilt and converted to 4x4, so that's something actually accomplished. I also got a full YJ wiper setup that will be installed later. And I started a new photo album: M715 build Stuff's still going slow, house projects are taking up a lot of time and cash. But I figure if I take my time then things will come out better. That's the goal anyhow.

Default Fender brackets

So I had some down time and put it to good use. I made some fender bracket blanks. I'm calling them blanks cause I haven't bent them yet. I'm pretty sure that I only needed two, but I had enough scrap to make five. They're 14ga, it's a little thicker than the stock ones but I didn't have any 16ga handy.

[IMG][/IMG]

I've also managed to get one bed center pocket and panel section replaced. Hopefully I'll be able to get some more work done Sunday, if it doesn't rain.

Very cool! Have you thought about keeping the M715 frame?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel View Post
    Very cool! Have you thought about keeping the M715 frame?
    Sort of, but after a lot of thinking, measuring, and more thinking I decided not to use it. To make good use of the '01 Ram stuff it'll be easier to adapt the body over than to try to put the drive line under the old frame. I'm even thinking about keeping the 4-wheel ABS from the Ram. It's on it's own module and only has a few inputs, none of which are buffered by the PCM. So If I can get it to work that'll be a nice feature.

Well I couldn't get much done this weekend, but I did manage to make a patch for the lower fender corner on the bed. Weather willing I should be able to get it in this week. I also pulled the only seriously damaged tailgate hinge. Broke one of the bolts I'm hoping that I can press it strait at work, if not I'll be making one.

The damage

The patch

Even folded it over

looks killer. u have alot of patience.

more pics?

I managed to work on it a bit today. I only get about 2 hours(if I'm lucky) worth of truck-work time between getting home from work and having to do home stuff. But if I can keep my momentum going and hit this thing every day this week than the major stuff on the bed might be finished. Also let it be known I have no patience. Those are things at the doctor's office, and I'm not a doctor. My work won't be 100% or show worthy, but I'm building the truck as a worker, so what are a few out of round fenders and slightly crooked spots? Anyhow..pics.

Lining up the repair

Welded and ground

And my ugly hinge

I should have my fender brace bent up and welded on tomorrow. I put the first break into it at home, but I couldn't get the second break in with what I have here.

Got the fender brace back in and took the tailgate off. Only broke half the tailgate hinge bolts. I also got that bent up hinge straitened out, mostly anyway. It's amazing what you can do with a 55ton press.