Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Correct Batteries?

Default Correct Batteries?

I finally found a new battery box lower half, and 6 piece battery hold down kit and am ready to drop a pair of batteries into it so I can begin overhauling my wiring harness, etc.

Once I figured out how the hold-downs are situated, I began to have vague flashbacks of the big batteries that went into 24V military trucks... the one or two times I saw them exposed in various vehicles.

Which batteries are designed for the stock set-up?
    I tried the search function but could not find any info on this.

These are nearly square batteries as I recall. Guessing they have pretty good CCA ratings, with significant deep cycle specs too???

I'm not looking for period correct items, more like modern equivalents (size-wise) with the benefit of being able to choose the best technology of today, in the "envelope/size" the battery compartment allows.

Hope that made sense.

Back then vehicle batteries were encased in hard rubber, as a 70s muscle-car restorer showed me last week. Interesting stuff. I'll bet they were pretty big back in the late-60s. Surely you'll find some pictures in the manual section here on the Zone.

I would say you're best to go with a pair of standard modern auto batteries. Whatever will fit.

I never had my battery box installed, so I can't comment on how the hold-downs worked and such. I have the two batteries on a custom-built tray under the hood right by the firewall on the passenger side.
    -- Tim Taylor

Yep. Figure 2-38 in the -10 manual on page 109 of 298. Not all that different in size from available modern batteries.
    -- Tim Taylor

Two normal car batteries connected in series will do the trick. I just installed two Interstate batteries in my truck. They sit in the battery box between the seats just fine. I do not use any type of hold down clamps. I must admit tho, my truck is never used off road, therefore they don't get bounced around. Any decent batteries will work for you. I bought both of mine at the same time, so as to have the same power in each battery.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

OK I still am scratching my head.
    Vintage M715 sent me the correct 6 piece battery hold downs. In order for them to fit under the stock lid, they have to be angled to the point that the cross braces are all the way to the front and rear of the battery boxes internally available space.

This would seem to indicate that the intended batteries are either very wide (nearly square), or that a spacer is placed between them by design. If the latter is the case then I can certainly improvize, but if a set of batteries exist that were designed to fill that entire area, it would seem to be an ideal choice where the associated capacity (deep cycle/CCA ratings) could be beneficial for semi expeditionary use. Bigger batteries would be less likely to leave you stranded when taxed during vehicle-off usage.

Binford I'll try to examine the data you cited right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Binford View Post
    Yep. Figure 2-38 in the -10 manual on page 109 of 298. Not all that different in size from available modern batteries.
    I got lost. Found it in -20 manual, otherwise exactly where you stated.
    Those pictures erased the guesswork. Looks as though there was an option for 4 batteries in series/parrallel, using batteries narrower than any practical modern standard I bet.

Thanks again.

I do not use any type of hold down clamps. I must admit tho, my truck is never used off road, therefore they don't get bounced around.
    I really hate to add things to the never ending list for you, but I had a bad experience with one of my batteries, probably due to bumpy offroad driving though. Anyway, one of my batteries cracked, and leaked acid all through the battery box, under the seat and into the drains and between the two floor panels. Big mess, I've used at least a box of baking soda and rinsed it with warm water several times. It still shows up from time to time and I'm sure it's hiding somewhere under the floor still. After I had to buy new batteries, I welded some angle iron to the bottom of the box that holds each side of each battery. Put in some cardboard "cushioning" and welded some eye-bolts to the bottom so I could secure each battery with a bungee... The previous owner had replaced the bottom of the box and cut out the tie-downs and just plopped the batteries in there (they may have bounced into each other). After the whole ordeal, it would have been much easier and cheaper to address it before-hand.

What a mess 97XJSP. You certainly seem to have them secured now. As for larger square type batteries, I can't say I remember those at all. I was in the Motorpool in the Army, and the only square batteries I remember were in the duece and 5 ton trucks. They were in a pull out tray behind the cab? I just can't remember what went in the M715's I do have a couple of pieces of wood in the battery box that I use as spacers, to keep the two batteries from sliding forward. Again tho, my truck is driven usually slow and steady and on pavement all the time. Off roading is a whole new ballgame.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

I've seen the odd square-shaped batteries somewhere, but can't recall where. NATO 6T seems a standard square-ish size, but a bit small for the battery box.

I have three large 12V batteries in mine, for my 12V system... fits perfectly. Won't work for 24v of course. I have a couple folded pipe noodles on top to make sure they can't bounce upwards, and the fit of the batteries keeps them from sliding.

--Randy