Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Floor switch

Default Floor switch

Can anyone tell me where to locate a floor button switch for my truck? I need either the switch or a new starter, both of which I'm having a little difficulty locating. I've seen them online before, so I hope they're still out there somewhere. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

I thought that was a civi item available at napa or the like for old jeeps.

Edit:
    Starter switch part number
    "We are here for the meeting!"

Go outside and start testing things. Really. Less computing, more wrenching.

You could also have bad wiring, a bad ground, or a host of other problems. Don't start looking for parts until you know you need parts.

And if you do need a starter, chances are very good (probably 95% or so) a local auto electric shop can repair yours for cheap, or even cheaper if you can do the labor yourself.

For the starter switch, I think all old jeeps used them (at least, ones that will bolt into the same hole), and any auto shop should be able to get one. They're about $20.

But, GO START TESTING.

--Randy

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Just shoot over to a local Tractor Supply and pick up one of these, or order it online:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tractor...-1940--0236643

The starter motor might require a rebuilder. Not sure if there are any 24V new ones around, but if there are, VPW, Memphis Equipment, or AB Linn would be your most likely sources.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

My experience is virtually all "it worked and now it doesn't" starter motor problems are fixed by a cleaning, greasing, and new brushes if needed. The coils only burn out if abused, and I've never seen a commutator worn to where it interferes with operation.

But this armchair wrenching isn't going to accomplish anything. He's been asking online for a week now about how to fix things that he still doesn't know if they need fixing or not.

--Randy

Mr Randygar, This site happens to be about asking questions of other members. I've been turning wrenches since I'm 16 years old. I'll turn 60 end of this month. With two recent total knee replacements, I'm just trying to get things in order so when I start my project I have all the info I need to complete it. If you look at my avatar photo closely, you'll see I've spent alot of time and effort putting my truck together. I find nothing wrong with asking other members for their opinions. It's what this great website is all about. I don't call this armchair wrenching, I call it being thorough and trying to do it correctly the first time. Getting under my truck doesn't come as easy as it used to. I appreciate your post, just wanted to make clear mine. Hope you understand. Have a nice day.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

I work in Elk Grove. If you have a multimeter and a set of jumper cables, I may be able to swing by after work one night next week and do the grunt work for you. We can bypass the switch with one lead of the jumper cables, that will tell you which part is bad
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

I work in Elk Grove. If you have a multimeter and a set of jumper cables, I may be able to swing by after work one night next week and do the grunt work for you. We can bypass the switch with one lead of the jumper cables, that will tell you which part is bad
    Sounds like a pretty good deal right there!

Most of the tests can be done from under the hood, not under the truck... Clip a light onto the stud to the starter motor and to the engine. If it lights, the starter motor is bad. If it doesn't, move the ground to the body. If it lights, the engine is ungrounded. If it doesn't light, the switch or the positive battery wiring is bad. We know the body is grounded since your gauges stay green while trying to start it.

And as to bad knees... argh. At my job, we're always arguing over who has to get our one stop that's in a basement, as none of us make it back up the stairs more than a half step at a time. I usually have to hold onto something and pull myself back upwards from kneeling. While I sympathize with you, I still think you need to do more testing before looking for parts.

--Randy

Thanks for all the help. Here's where I'm at as of today. I put a meter to the top post on the starter, hooked up the ground on the meter, had my buddy turn on ignition switch and press floor switch down. I got a reading of 24.5 volts going to the starter. If I'm correct, this told me the floor switch was operating correctly and the starter was bad. I proceeded to remove the starter and now have it out of the truck. The gear on the starter appears to be in the engaged position, all the way forward. The starter gear teeth definitely show some wear. Starter was made in Toledo Ohio, and I'm guessing that means it's the original. Any suggestions as to whether I should try to find a place to rebuild it, or search for a new one? Any comments would be greatly appreciated. My apology to Randygar for going on a rant, over his previous post. I know he meant well, but sometimes these knees don't allow me to do what I want and I get frustated. Maybe his kick in the ass is what I needed. Now I need you guys to tell me I was correct in removing the starter motor, and any leads on where to go next. Thanks to all.