Thread: 20P vs 34P

Default 20P vs 34P

I purchased an original 20P manual off of Ebay and ended up getting an original 34P manual instead. What exactly is in the 20P or is it the same as the plain 20 manual that is on line? I think I might keep this and bid on another 20P.

The manuals with a "P" after them are parts manuals. In the case of the -20P, I have one here, it has nothing in it that is not in the -34P parts manual. The -34P actually has more than the -20P does.

Confused?

Well, lets back up a sec...

The -20 is the Organizational Maintenance Manual...this is for the guys in the field, basically the basics stuff, like changing out a starter or alternator, etc.

The -34 is Direct Support and General Support Maintenance Manual...this is the manual used back at the heavy maintenance facility to do the big stuff, like an engine rebuild or redoing an axle, etc.

The parts manuals reflect the maintenance manual they are made for. Since the -20 covers a smaller part of the truck, it's parts manual has a smaller range of stuff. Conversely since the -34 covers all the stuff in detail, it covers everything in it's parts manual.

Hope that makes sense...bottom line, you have the 34P, you have the 20P plus.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

To back up what Jon wrote. By getting the -34P. You got all the parts the military chose to list out. The -20 just list out the ones they thought somebody in the field doing work might need to know about.

Often times, you can do a search for the NSN part numbers and use that search to find people selling them now.

Not as easy as the CUCV trucks where the numbers in the -??P manuals are actual GM part numbers, but pretty close.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Thanks alot! Yes, the more I look at this manual it really has all the info I need. The extra stuff on suppliers and reference numbers is handy also since VPW's inventory list uses alot of these if the Federal Stock Number isn't available.

Correct...they use the Reference Number ALOT...even if there is an FSN in many cases...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

How did you get an inventory list? I never got anything from them, do you have to pay for it?

Scott

I haven't bought from them directly in years, but in my case. I called, asked for a parts list, bought some parts, got the parts and then 3 years later the one and only catalog I have ever gotten from them showed up. Your results may vary.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I'd have to add about the original manuals on ebay now, I just bought a -20 and a -34 manual from same guy, and they are nice, the photos are real clear, alot better than the Portrayal manuals, and cheaper, too. But these originals are for the bookshelf, not the garage.

Scott

Yes, it's funny that I bought an original for less than half of a reprint.
    I got my copy of their inventory list about 3 years ago from the previous "JEEP" parts person. I don't know if he was supposed to give it to me or not.