Anyone who has shopped for surplus engine parts for the 230 know most of the common suppliers. Something about parts availability that has puzzled me for some time warrants some discussion. This discussion is about surplus parts, not aftermarket or custom manufactured.

Take rod bearings. Why can you find thousands of bearings for cylinders 2,4,6 in standard, .10 and .20 but none for cylinders 1,3,5 in any size? The same is true for the connecting rods. Lots of 2,4,6; no 1,3,5.

Next up is valves. Thousands of intake valves are out there but no exhaust. But, you will find no shortage of exhaust valve seats! I understand the exhaust valves may have needed replacement more than the intake but why all the spare seats?

I was not a motor pool trooper but I do know if any vehicle came in for a valve job or any engine overhaul, all valves were replaced and all bearings were replaced, so why the inventory discrepancies?

Some time ago one of the owners of VPW told me Jeep created the spare parts recommendations based on wear patterns but that doesn’t make sense. Maybe for cams and timing chains but not much else. Do 1,3,5 bearings wear out faster then 2,4,6? I don’t think so. Government procurement usually buys way more than is recommended no matter what.

Anyone have any light to shed on this?