Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rust treatments

Default Rust treatments

Has anyone ever used POR-15 or similar products? What kind of success did you have? I'm looking to coat the frame with it. How clean does the metal need to be? I have power washed an degreased the frame. There is no loose rust. The rust that is left is rough texture. Feels like coarse sandpaper.

What I do is treat the rusted areas with Ospho. It kills the rust so it won't start again so quickly. I sand, wire wheel or sand blast the area before the Ospho treatment to remove the big chunks. After the treatment with Ospho, then just prime with a good quality primer (not krylon or rustoleum), I use Gillespie, and paint.

i have used POR15 and am happy with that product also, used widely by car restoration people.

Duane

I've never used it, but i know some people have a hard time with the por-15. Seems like the biggest thing is prepping the surface, making sure to do exactly what it says to do. I've heard a few stories about peeling, but i think it was due to bad prep. Mostly good things about it though.

I used POR-15 on my frame and I have nothing but bad things to say about it. I prepped the frame exactly how the instructions said. But it started to peel and flake off after 6 months. I called the company and they said since I was so close to the ocean the salt air affects the POR. So they gave me my money back. I cleaned off as much as I could and used Ospho like kwai said. I made sure to use it during the rest of the resto-mod and after 8 years all is good.

Quote Originally Posted by porkchop View Post
    I used POR-15 on my frame and I have nothing but bad things to say about it. I prepped the frame exactly how the instructions said. But it started to peel and flake off after 6 months. I called the company and they said since I was so close to the ocean the salt air affects the POR. So they gave me my money back. I cleaned off as much as I could and used Ospho like kwai said. I made sure to use it during the rest of the resto-mod and after 8 years all is good.
    It's been eight years already???

I have used several of PoR 15's products. I am not as impressed as I thought I would be long term. There are many products now that might have POR 15 beat. I am currently using a urethane paint like POR 15 made by Bill Hirsch.
    No problems with it so far.
    There is zero rust and many others. I would try and find some reviews and see what people are using now.

I had a run of using Permatex rust treatment from Napa. It is completely worthless and delaminated allowing oxygen to waste away more metal under the coating.

I remember PC's POR 15 troubles. That was about when I started looking for other products. I was using it at the same time with out the same problems. PC is or was in a much different coastal environment. I am in the PNW with salt free air and different humidity. If a product is that particular I would find something else.

When they say don't get urethane paint on you they really mean it. You will wear it till your skin naturally sheds or you sand your skin till it's raw. It does not come off skin.

Cheers.
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel View Post
    It's been eight years already???
    Almost. Picked up my truck when I got back from Iraq in 2003. Time flies when your having fun.

Who sells Ospho rust treatment?
    1968 M725(2)
    1967 M715
    1967 M725(2)
    1963 M43
    1954 M37
    1967 M103A3 w/M1010 Body

http://www.ospho.com/

I found it at my local Ace hardware store at the time. I think they may have it at the tractor supply store, or some place similar.