Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: dash/guage lights

Default dash/guage lights

The dash/guage lights have a brass cap, one with a hole,are they suppose to be polished brass? Most of the ones i have seen are pinted, mine had 3 coats.

All the new ones (1970 or newer) are plastic.

The outside light covers are just there to spread the light to the gauges. If you have a clean bottom to it and a gasket like it is supposed to have. They do a pretty good job of it.

Just the middle hi beam indicator is supposed to have the lighted center hole.

Look on ebay for new and clean plastic ones in red or green.

If yours are really brass, I would suggest soda blast to clean up and Brasso to show them off.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

All the early covers were metal (brass) covers over the red plastic. The brass was always painted. Just ignore what Barrman recommended (Brasso). I think the cold weather has gone to his head or something.

Nope, diesel fumes. We had a truck running in here, too cold to open the doors and the wind is so bad the fumes pumped out the exhaust gas system are sucked off the roof and back into the building. The other classes are all mad at me now.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

bahahaha thats pretty awesome. I dont recommend doing that on a daily basis though....

Well they were brass caps under Layers of paint. i used paint stripper but be carefull it eats the red plastic. No polish and they ar super shiny. Im gonna leave them like they are.

I left mine painted, of course, because if I wanted bling-bling, I'd have a 280Z.

I also left the center light on all three exposed. If I accidentally leave the 3-lever switch on, at least two of those lights will help to remind me of that fact. (All three if the high-beams are on.) It has caught my attention more than once.
    -- Tim Taylor

thats why i asked i didnt know what they were suppoe to be painted or natural, both trucks they were painted

yeah i would paint them, I would only polish the if it was on an old Cris Craft, but then again of you puttin Auto Meter Pro comp gauges in it. its not gonna be close to stock anyway. doesnt seem like with the pic of that dash it falls under the stock tech forum. LOL

Duane

In my opinion, only one color belongs in the cab of a 715, and that's O.D. green, but that's why we all drive our own trucks. Never, ever saw brass on the dash, only on the collars of our dress and kahki uniforms. For what it's worth...... paint em'
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"