Thread: Engine Mount Questions

Default Engine Mount Questions

I have a Ford 302/T98/np200 in my 715 now. From reading the archives, I think that I have it sitting on the stock 715 engine mount horns, using ford mounts. I have a fresher 350/205/465 that I would like to put in. I believe that I have 3 options:
    • 67-69 chevy mounts using stock frame horns
    • Spicer mounts using 230 motor mounts
    • Universal chevy cradle type mount (like transdapt or summit mount)

Does anyone have a picture of stock frame horns (with engine out), to confirm that mine are unmolested?

What is your preference, for putting a sb chevy in, and why: (67-69 mounts, 230 with Spicer plates, universal, make your own, etc)

I spent a fair amount of time on Google, searching for sb chevy and ford engine dimensions, to see if I was correct in what I was reading on the zone, but I must not be using the correct terms, because I was getting minimal info. Please let me know what you know. I want to do this swap the most economical way, but want to do it once, and correctly, and easily.

Thanks,
    George
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

i don't have a picture for you, sorry. i mounted an sbc in my truck using the chevy mounts and the original 230 frame horns. if i was to do it again i would use the spicer plates to allow the extra inch of room at the firewall for the distributor. there is plenty of room at the radiator end of the motor for the extra inch and a long water pump.....al

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Right after the 230 removal.

I removed my stock mounts and built custom mounts because I wanted to move my engine as far forward as I could. I cannot use a mechanical fan because my engine is so far forward. I did this to put an automatic with overdrive transmission and still keep the stock transfer case and drive shaft setup. My custom jack shaft is very close to stock length also.
    Last edited by jeeper; February 9th, 2011 at 05:57 PM.

Thanks for the replies and pic guys. I'll take a look in the daylight to see if mine is still intact
    Thanks, George

After looking at Jeeper's piciture, it looks like I have the original frame horns with ford motor mounts for the 302.

I am still looking for the best advise as far as mounts go. The chevy small block that I want to put in has an HEI, so I may need that extra clearance. So do I do the Spicer mounts, Transdapt cross member that i can weld in where i need it, or will 67-69 chevy mount do the job.

Novaks Adapter site recommends using their mounts, and offsetting the mount to the drivers side 1/2" - 1" to the drivers side for DS clearance. I see that a bunch of you have done sbc swaps using mounts and not offsetting. Whats the deal with that, is there anything to that?

I can do the same thing with the Transdapt mount. All input is welcome
    Thanks, George

This is what I did. My engine in quite far forward and I will need an electric fan instead of the mechanical fan. I have it centered and have several inches behind my HEI ignition to the firewall. If I were going to run a married setup like you are planning I would not have done it this way. I would have used the stock mounts with the early chevy mounts.

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

my sbc install used the stock frame horns and as i remember '72 chevy truck motor mounts with one stud on the bottom of the mount. i elongated the top hole in the oem mount and dropped it in. my hei spark plug wires just do touch the firewall. i have a long water pump, 2 inch spacer on the fan and i need to add a shroud because it not close enough to pull air directly through the rad. i think the spicer plates, for me, would have been better....al
    i also added a 1/2 inch spacer between the bottom of the chevy mount and the oem frame horn as it set a little low and allowed better alignment between the two....al
    Last edited by osut362; February 12th, 2011 at 04:55 PM. Reason: add

Thanks Al, it is sounding like the Spicer plates may be the way to go. Do you have any pics of your mounts with the spacers?
    Thanks, George