Thread: Paint advice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Paint advice

Need some advice. I've never painted anything with real equipment and I plan to cut my teeth on the rough M38A1 I just bought and then move on to the 715. I have a very good industrial air compressor and that's about it. I don't mind spending some money to get set up right. I believe I'll need a good filtration system and air water seperator for the line. Those of you in the know, what are your recommendations for filters, air pressure, type of gun, etc. This is military truck quality I'm going for mind you, not high gloss hot rod stuff. I do want a quality job that will last for quite a while.

Just about any of the HVLP guns you find these days will get the job done. Used to be DeVilbliss was THE name for good guns. Now, CNC machining have evened the field a lot.

I would recommend a metal/aluminum cup instead of a plastic one since it will last a lot longer. Same with the lid. Those two things being not plastic will drive the cost up though.

Then, buy a case of filter funnels, a 32 ounce or bigger mixing cup thick enough to hold in one hand and not collapse on you that has ounces and stuff on the side of it.

Use a new filter funnel every time you pour anything to or from the mixing cup. Along with a new mixing stick everytime and you should be good to go.

Since I use the filter funnels, I removed the little plastic filter under the cup inside the gun. That little plastic filter will gum up and stop paint from flowing on big paint jobs that require you to use multiple cup fulls. I just removed it and haven't had that problem since.

That the kind of stuff you were wanting info on?
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Like Barrman said a metal cup takes alot more abuse in the long run. I recommend a gravity feed with the cup on top, alot easier to clean and handle. All spray guns as of January 10,2011 better be HVLP.
    The next thing you should check is that your air is DRY. This will kill a paint job quick.

I would put an air dryer on the air line. They can be had at most places that sell compressors. This will help keep water out of the line when your painting.

I have witness with my own eyes soldiers painting a MV type truck with a paint roller, roller pain, and brushes like they were painting the walls in an office. So there is always that path to take... I'd stick with the air gun though...
    Zone holster maker

Yeah, thanks guys. I was writting away thinking the only kind of HVLP you could get was a gravity feed. They aren't all that way. Get one with the cup on top. If it comes with a stand, much better because you will have to build one. How much is your time worth.

With the cup on top, it is very easy to tilt the gun and have all the paint splash out. Or, have a nice little dribble do the same thing. I alway put a rubber glove over the top of the cup to prevent that. It will deflate over time as you paint and could create a vacuum, so let air in every so often.

I also like to have the psi regulator at the other end of the hose from the gun. Less weight and less stuff to hit fresh paint with.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Yes, that's the type of stuff I'm looking for. I love this site. Feel free to add more as you think of it.