Thread: Air Horns!

Default Air Horns!

Decided to add some horns to warn innocent motorists that the beast is bearing down on 'em. Already have a Viair compressor on board- bought a couple used truck horns on ebay, total of about $80 in new and used parts- valve, hose, fittings, etc. Fabricated a bracket to mount 'em. I have a flip front clip on the ambulance and they clear firewall and radiator by less than an inch front and rear when it opens. What a noise!
    O.T.- one of the horns stopped working after I got the whole thing in the first time- was hesitant to open the old diaphram up to see what was wrong- pretty simple in there-a copper disc held in place by a rusted out spring, with no seals. Apparently the air forces the edges of the disc to vibrate at frequency against the force of the spring, producing the noise. Made a new spring by wrapping bailing wire around a tapered dowel. Works great now.

WOW...nice addition!!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Just make sure that the air solenoid is either new, or in good working order. Your neighbors will really appreciate that when your air horns don't stick on until the air tanks are empty. Ask me how I know......

Nice install!
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

It's not a solenoid- old fashioned manual pull valve with a chain. Also have an inline shutoff valve just before the chain in case it fails-

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Ah, that is an oldie then! Good idea about the shutoff valve. I just may have to do the same thing.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™