Thread: What size trailer do I need to haul a stock M715?

Default What size trailer do I need to haul a stock M715?

I will be shopping for a tandem axle trailer. I was wondering what size I could get by with. Is a 16 or 18 foot trailer with 3500 pound axles big enough?

No!

The M715 is 5500 pounds stock and empty. Mine was 7100 or so the last time I ran it over some scales. Figure a trailer stout enough to hold the M715 will have 1500-2000 pounds of mass to it.

Take the lower 1500 pound weight, add in a 5500 pound empty stock truck with stock tires/wheels and you are at the max for your trailer. Not much room for error.

If starting from scratch, get 8 lug trailer axles rated at at least 7,000 per axle with brakes on both axles.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

My brother used a 16 foot with 3500 lb axles and brakes on one axle. He had some trouble, mainly with the load range B tires on the trailer. Just cause it fits, doesn't mean it's safe. Barrmans recomendations are good. You could also get 6000 lb axles (which I think are actually rated at 5300). Make sure to look into it since there may be some nominal/actual type rating thing going on, and it's better to fudge on the high side. The brakes are important and I personally dislike surge brakes--go electric.

I agree with wrecker and barrman. 7000 lb 16 ft trailer is a bit short but will move it if necessary (I have used one many times). Better option is a 18-20 ft trailer rated for 10000 lbs. Electric brakes are better than surge brakes. But you must have trailer brakes of some sort. Tow vehicle is also important. A 1/2 ton would work for short distances. But for long hauls a 3/4 or 1-ton truck would be easier and safer.

I don't know if this information will help but here is a post with dimensions and measurements of the trailer I used to haul my stock 715
    Trailer size for transporting

-Brian (and Angry)

Thanks for all the replys. I see more of the smaller variety for sale used. But I will hold out for a bigger one if I can. I plan on hauling my wife's M715 to the Iola Military vehicle show next year. It's about 200 miles from where we live.

I use a 18' dual axle trailer with brakes on both axles, 8 lug wheels and the axles are rated at 7k each. The trailer weighs at 2500lbs empty and is rated at 10k gvw due to CA license BS, tires limit it at 11kgvw. I tow it with my 06 Tundra double cab. I have load range E tires on my truck. I have no problem moving a 715 a few hundred miles with it. Get a dual axle trailer with electric brakes on both axles, a good controller for your tow rig, and know how to load the trailer so it doesn't get the wobbles.