Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: split rim tire changing

Having making myself ill looking at my truck with the weenie tires on it. (31's)
    I took it apon myself to see the base mechanics, to learn what not to do with split rims. It all boils down to making sure that the split ring is properly seated on the rim and that the tire inflated evenly on the rim.
    They insisted that the use of a safety cage is a must. or in the field they will thread a chain through the holes on the rim and arount the tire and split rim just incase it pops. Also they use a clip on chuck and a remote valve that is a good 10 feet away to inflate. As the most dangerous part is the inflating and inspecting to see if the bead is properly seated.

Anyway this weekend I changed all 4 weenie tires for the stock NDT's (ya ya I know but I wanted the stock look since she is now a Sunday driver )

Ah back to the story... I took me 6 hrs to change the 4 tires this included building a remote air filler, cleaning and painting the rims. ( now I can do it in about 30-45min/tire) The hardest part was breaking the bead of the last tire.
    Couldn't get off after hours of prying and pounding, tried driving over it,
    Driving with it deflated and doing donuts, sitting the hi-lift in it and lifting up the front of the truck. nothing would work. so out came the sawzall
    5 minutes of cutting and it was off. Even managed not to cut the tube or liner.

All in all, I am glad I was able to do it myself. and it was a positive experiance (except for that last fricken tire!)

If you do try this at home just do it CAREFULLY!
    These things can be deadly

Here is a link for the training manual TM 9-2610-200-20
    http://209.151.88.8/od_images/od_tm9...0_20_tires.pdf

Good luck
    Al

Al,

I had the same trouble getting the beads busted on mine. Once that part was done, it was cake. Now with fresh tires it's no trouble at all tearing them down - I had it down to about 10 minutes a piece when I kept popping tubes in the desert.

I don't think you necessarily need a cage or any other safety device with ours, though it wouldn't hurt. The design of the lock ring makes it impossible to snap off once the bead is in place.

Chris

When doing the research I was surprized to find how many different styles of split rims are out there. I guess some are more dangerous than others.

And you bet that ring goes nowhere when the bead is in place! I'm still swearing at that tire!

so how good are our split rings when it comes to say runing it against boulders and rocks on the trail as i am going to usemy truck as a daily driver/ trail truck sooo they need to be good rims. and i was thinking of just welding the rings to the rim and calling it good would this work? has anyone tried it? can you change a tire like this? any way that is all i wanted to say
    -brad
    '86 & '98 Ram 4x4's

You'd never get the tire off! My wheels have held up fine but I don't get all crazy on it. Mostly I bounce off the lift brackets before I hit the wheel on anything.

Personally I love the split ring idea simply because you can repair flats on your own, very quickly, with little sweat (once you get the rock hard originals off). But it would be nice to have some options other than stock or custom made.

Chris

yes yes it would be nice and couldnt you use the same method as with standard rims to remove the tires from the rims
    -brad
    '86 & '98 Ram 4x4's

I seriously doubt it considering the depth of the bead seat. It would take some serious stretching.

Chris

what about putting it on from the backside of the rim
    -brad
    '86 & '98 Ram 4x4's

The depth of the rim is the sane on both sides so doing it the other way around would be the same result.

okay just a thought but i dont know i was reading some where that they make a do it your self locker kit and i was wondering if we could just weld the locker ring on the rim and then bolting the lock ring to the welded on ring... problem solved maybe???????
    -brad
    '86 & '98 Ram 4x4's