Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: m715 cummins 4bt fuel milage

ok heres what i have so far.
    the truck is not its most fuel effecient on the highway. theoretically it should do 85 on the interstate at 2500rpm. if i floor it i can get 73, but not exact on rpm.... maybe 2000-2200, i dont have a tach but i know its not fuel effecient doing that
    145 miles =60 miles highway (65 to 70)/85 town
    24.16 mpg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    250 miles =220 miles highway (65 to 70)/30 town
    23.7 mpg!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    tomorrow im going to try and drive just town miles or less than 60 to check.

you gotta be freaking kidding.....Thats awesome!
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

WOW!
    keep us updated on how everything works out on the 4bt.
    67 M725, 67 M715, 68 M715

way cool. i'm looking into a cummins 6cyl turbo from a dodge 1-ton... think the frame would hold up to that? i may be able to come up with a deuce frame, and i know that will hold up to a cummins. i may have a set of rockwells on the way to. maybe i'll go with two front axles for rear-steer...

WOW! Where can I get me one of those?

way cool. i'm looking into a cummins 6cyl turbo from a dodge 1-ton... think the frame would hold up to that? i may be able to come up with a deuce frame, and i know that will hold up to a cummins. i may have a set of rockwells on the way to. maybe i'll go with two front axles for rear-steer...
    Let us know what you find out about that Cummins. I hope to do the same with mine some day. I dont expect it to be an easy swap, but it will be worth it once its all done.

reasons i went 4bt over 6bt
    1)4bt is cheaper
    2)4bt is 500lbs lighter (700+ vs 1200) stock 230 is around 650 IIRC
    3)4bt is shorter in length, no cutting radiator or firewall. i run a stock radiator and elec fan
    4)4bt is shorter in height. it will fit in a spring under. i think the 2 6bt m715's, one used a spring over, the other a 3 inch?cab lift
    5)4bt is an BIG improvement over the stock 230 in EVERY way
    6) you can turn 4bt's up to 250hp, 600tq or so, but the intercooler from either is an issue. mine is a turbo, no inter or aftercooler. i would assume a 6bt with no inter/aftercooler would not be very much a benifit....
    my center of gravity should be the same

Default need m715 parts

what exactly is a 4bt cummins, and what did they come out in? i have been around trucks and equipment for a long time and i don`t think i have seen one. larry

a 4bt cummins is 2 less cyls than a 6bt. same accessories/injectors etc. mine came from a frito lay truck. they were used as repowers for bread vans too. also they were used in boats

the height (#4 above) dif should be clarified as the oil pan shape on the 4bt is easier to deal with....

well now, the search is on. that kind of fuel mileage isworth the effort. gas here is $1.68 and up. how difficult was it to wire it up? and what tranny did you use? i am very interested in this 4bt. i have not rebuilt my 454 yet so i have to look around for one of these. you just had to post those fuel mileage numbers.