Thread: SBC 350 motor mount ideas

Default SBC 350 motor mount ideas

Well, finally decided to go with the 350sbc, sm465 married to 205 transfer case...Now I need to start thinking about motor mount ideas...The spicer plate idea sounds good, but some have mentioned using chevy 60-72 motor mounts...It sounds like using the chevy truck mounts would naturally "level" the block and eliminate the need to do extra leveling steps (or am I wrong, I dont know)...
    Whats the best way, since the motor/tranny/t-case is married and will need to sit somewhat specific, right?
    Thanks for the help so far guys...

**By the way, my wife is a professional photographer and will be making a nice step by step photo album of this process, so I can return the help by sharing this information with the rest of the forum...so your help is not in vain!
    Scott

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

IT will depend on how you situate the engine and where you want the shifter to end up, how far from the firewall you want the engine (remember you'll want room to get to the distributor.) and how much clearance to the radiator and fan.

The Spicer plates are the easiest idea, but there are other ways to do it too, like making your own frame mounts, or buying a universal style crossmember from someone like Summit. The most important thing is getting everything where you want it and where it will work, and keeping the top of the intake where the carb bolts level or slightly angled backward.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

67-72 chevy pickup mounts for the win.

on my 725 i used the chevy mounts and just had to elongate the center hole in the frame mount to allow the motor to sit all the way down onto the mounts.

dremel tool and carbide bit will do the trick.
    67 M725 67 M715 68 M715

i used the chevy p/u mounts when i installed the sbc in my truck. if i were to do it again i would use the spicer plates to give me more room on the distributor end. i have lots of room left on the front of the motor and another couple of inches would have been nice....al