Thread: np205

Default np205

Is any certain year 205 better than others or not? I found a sm465 tranny mated to a 205 but not sure what year the tranny and transfer case is. I have a mid to late 80s chevy truck 2wd with an sm465 tranny in it for a donor. Plan on running married set up in truck after swap. Does anyone see any problems in this plan ie drive shaft splines and etc? Was looking for div. set up but couldn't fing locally ran into this with new clutch,pedals and bell housing for 250.00. Is that a good price?

250 for the tranny and t-case might be a little high but not too bad. That bell is worth 50 bucks around here and the clutch and pressure plate seems like were about 100 new so you are all right. I had to change both driveshafts when I went with this swap. Lengthen the rear and shorten the front. I used a stock chevy front and still had to have it shortened about 2 inches. Since you're asking about splines, it makes me think you have a slip joint at the case and not a fixed yoke. Since you'll have to modify your shaft anyway it won't be a super big deal but will add the cost of the slip joint for your driveshaft. The crossmember will take a little time to build as well. I used the chevy cross member that I modified heavily by cutting some length out of the middle and welding it back and then making new mounts on the ends too. This is because it has to sit higher inthe frame instead of on the bottom like the Chevy. I also had to remove the factory crossmember mounts on the truck and weld in brackets fot the new cross member. It was kind of a lot of work but I am really happy with it. My tranny and t-case were resealed by my beloved brother and they leak ALOT. I would make sure the gaskets are sealed up tight before I did it again. One more quick hint, since our doors open almost to 90 degrees, an engine hoist stuck through the passenger door makes the install pretty easy. I had the Tcase and tranny bolted together and installed them as a unit.
    Last edited by wrecker; November 1st, 2010 at 01:26 AM.

Default np205

TY wrecker the PO said this tranny and trans has set for a couple of years in his garage. Should i break them apart and tear them down to reseal or just break apart and replace seal where they join? As you can probably tell I have never done anything like this before. I had the idea to remove the cab and bed also because I will be changing the engine also then bolt it all together and install all at once. I hope I am not biting off more than I can chew so to speak. I do not have the chevy crossmember so will have to make my own mounts. It seems I read somewhere here that it could be done with 3/8 Plate and welded into the frame? With the married set up will I need one for the trans. and one for the t case too ? Before I am finished will have the F&R axels,engine,tranny,and transfer case changed. I am in the parts gathering stage at present will start the build come summer hopefully. Do you see any problems with the plan besides lack of knowledge that is?

There is only one crossmember that bolts to the adapter between the tranny and T-case. I would buy a seal kit for both and reseal all of it with permatex or something similar. My brother replaced all the gaskets but he didn't use sealer since the instructions said not to if I remember right. I wish I had done it before I installed it but I thought it was good. Your build plan sounds good to me. Lots of backup on this site.