Thread: Keeping the lights on. Not the engine????

Default Keeping the lights on. Not the engine????

Just wondering if anyone has found a way to keep the batteries charged while keeping the lights or other items on? I have a 725 and would like to be able to run the surg light and the tank light that are inside withougjt killing the battery. Is there a way to use a battery charger or something lime that?
    Any ideas or thoughts would be great.

Thanks
    Doc

Doc,
    I dont know about the charger, but you might significantly reduce the consumption by using LEDs. Just a thought...
    Last edited by Flingarrows; January 7th, 2011 at 09:05 PM.
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

A battery charger would have to be plugged into AC voltage to be able to charge the batteries. that would work fine when you are in your driveway, or if you brought a generator with you. But if you are looking to wire something into to your batteries to charge your batteries without running the engine, No. If you come up with something, youll make alot of money. because you will have perfected the alternative fuel vehicle.

Duane

Most of the places have electric (living histor events and such) and I could use a gen set if needed aside from that. I guess my big issue is I can only find 12v charge sets here. Do I just put it on one battery or run two chargers?

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

A seperate set of batteries for running all the accessories may be an option, although where to put them may be an issue.

24V chargers are out there for marine and equipment applications, but they are not cheap.

Solargizer makes a solar 24V charger, but it is a trickle charger and won't keep up with continuous draw from your batteries.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

What is the exact usefulness of a Solargizer. I understand about trickle charging, but what real application would be useful on our trucks?
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by militarypotts View Post
    What is the exact usefulness of a Solargizer. I understand about trickle charging, but what real application would be useful on our trucks?
    Guys that don't drive their trucks on a regular basis use them as a maintenance charger. I have one on my Deuce, because it can go several months without being started, but when I need it, the batteries are fully charged and ready to go.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

NAPA has a 24V smart charger for about $75.

A solargizer doesn't trickle charge the battery. It is only a maintainer that keeps the battery from sulfating up when not in use. Also, as the name implies it is solar powered so only works outside (not in your garage).

"Battery minder" has 24V trickle charger/maintainers that work off of 110V AC. No solar available.

A 24 volt smart charger would eliminate the need to remove the batteries from the truck. I don't know if the need justifies the price for us one truck owners. I'll have to give it some thought. I do like to buy new gadgets tho.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"