Thread: Got a new tap and die set

Default Got a new tap and die set

Too many times have I needed to chase threads or make a bolt. Decided on this set, got it for $88 delivered. I got it cause it went up to 3/4. I did see some with cobalt coating, did I miss the boat not getting those?

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/2LKN6
    "We are here for the meeting!"

As a pretty basic set I don't see anything wrong with it. I tend to buy really high end taps and dies, but then, I machine and do quite a bit of fabrication work, so anything other than higher end taps just wear out on my too quickly. If you need a specific size or a bottoming tap or something in the future, I would recommend Victor Machinery (http://www.victornet.com). They sell nice high quality taps and dies and in sizes you won't find in any of the sets as well as bottoming or chasing taps (different than normal taps).

--Wintermute

Thanks for the info...that will come i handy for me down the road!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I agree with Wintermute.

If you only use them occasionally, then those will do just fine. Some of the popular taps and dies I use here at the shop get replaced every couple of months sometimes, depending on what material I'm working with and the frequency of their use.

Use a good tap lubricant or cutting fluid too. That helps a lot.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™