Thread: oil filter relocation/remote kits

Default oil filter relocation/remote kits

My PTO shaft is going to be awful close to the oil filter on my 350 cheby. Whats the wisdom on oil filter relocation kits? Good/bad/ok?? What's the downside??
    DP

Man invented the slowest form of transportation - the sailboat, Then decided to race them.

I know amsoil sells one that's a dual-filter design - one filter does 100% of the oil at some percent of efficiency (like your standard filter) and the second filter takes something like 5% of the oil passing by and filters it at like a 99% efficiency (or is it even better? I forget). They're pricey though... I think I called and got a quote for almost 300 bucks for the kit. I still might like to do it someday... clean oil does wonders for extending engine life.

anyway, that's as close as I've ever gotten to an oil filter relocation kit. If it's a decent kit I wouldn't see a downside. (Unless of course it causes a delay in getting your oil pressure built up after you change filters...??)

use good high quality hose and fittings, mount it in a safe but easily accessible location. It would be a good excuse to add an oil cooler.
    The only thing I could guess that could be bad would be if you ran the hose over the hills and through the woods and around the truck, maybe you could drop the oil pressure.
    I am going to add a auxiliary cooler and a remote filter on my cherokee's transmission.
    I'd do it. make that oil change easier.

Summit sells a pretty good kit. You have to use anti drain back filters so you have pressure right at start up though. If you buy one of the kits, add a cooler and get new hoses made by a local shop so you know they are good. I have heard bad things about the Chinese hoses most kits have in them.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    Summit sells a pretty good kit. You have to use anti drain back filters so you have pressure right at start up though. If you buy one of the kits, add a cooler and get new hoses made by a local shop so you know they are good. I have heard bad things about the Chinese hoses most kits have in them.
    I bought a Summit racing equiptment "Combo kit" that came with the cooler (tranny/oil combo), hoses, fittings and relocation kit for $75 twelve years ago. I never had any problem with it. I even transplanted it to another engine on the same truck. It was nice not having to drizzle oil all over the side of the block. I mounted it high inside the engine compartment on the left side behind the evaporation canister.

Or, better yet, make your own hoses with AN hose end fittings. Nothing is quite as nice as having hoses exactly the right size. I was amazed at how easy the hoses were to make, too.

If you go this way, don't bother getting the special aluminum hose wrenches. You don't need them. But you DO need the hose cutter, especially if you want to use a steel braided hose.

Zach

Default anti-drain back filter?

You have to use anti drain back filters so you have pressure right at start up though.
    That's what I was wondering about when I mentioned the oil pressure... how do you find/ how do you know if you have an anti-drain back filter?

Just to include it here...

I put a remote filter on my transmission, uses a car type filter...same one the stock M715 uses in fact...when I added the remote trans cooler.
    For this application I did not add an anti drainback valve...

Reason being, the trans itself is full of fluid and then runs the excess, after being shut off, down to the pan. As soon as fluid is called for, it comes from the pan up through the trans, then out to the external filter and cooler. Whatever drains back after shut off goes back in the pan anyway, the first place the system is gonna look for it...so on startup, the trans itself is actually overfull...so it has plenty available and is never lacking.

In an engine oil enviroment, due to the routing of the oil from pan, then fill the external filter and lines, THEN pressurize the block and head, an anti drainback is required if yo want the bearings and all to live happily...the trans has the routing is from pan to trans THEN to the external lines and filter/cooler...its already bathed in fluid by then...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!