Thread: PTO shaft routing

Default PTO shaft routing

OK, first off, I got a cheby 350 and a deuce winch. Stock PTO, on stock trans, in stock location.

I've looked at the winch diagrams, but have 2 questions. On the stock 230/braden setup, where does the intermediate bearing mount? Is it on the back of the block, at the bellhousing? Or up front??

Second, where does the PTO shaft cross the tie rods? I am assuming it goes ABOVE them?? It seems like it would be a pretty steep angle down to the winch input, though.

Didn't somebody (spicer?) run a chain drive off the shaft, down to the winch input shaft?
    DP

Man invented the slowest form of transportation - the sailboat, Then decided to race them.

I have some kind of funky winch on mine, what exactly I have no idea. But what I do know is that there is a (broken) chain that "drives" it. It's one of the last items on my list of to do's. And the connections are not so much anymore so I'm looking forward to an answer as well.

Spicer, as I remember had a chain driving his and the chain, bracket and pulley was right on the left lower corner of the winch, I think. I did have pics but that was before my computer crashed for the millionth time.
    67 M725, 67 M715, 68 M715

It mounts up front by the motor mount. Over the tie rod. That help? .02

Thanks, airborne

I really don't think it's gonna get there past my 350, motor mounts, etc...

Might have to go ahead and do my springover/shackle flip. Then it'd be a straight shot.

Alternative is a hydro pump and motor, which was my first plan with this winch, or just go to an electric, and sell the Garwood.
    DP

Man invented the slowest form of transportation - the sailboat, Then decided to race them.

I built a front crossmember just to mount the front mount to. It clears everything on my buick 350.

The stock bearing mount hooks to the oil pan bolts nd bottom of the alternator mount bolt...heres a pic:
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

it looks like the forward shaft breaks off at a pretty good angle. Doesn't look too much worse than what I'd deal with. I was afraid it'd be to much on the u-joint. Then again, it's not a driveshaft, and doesn't get constant use.

Are the stock shaft tubes solid steel, or tubular? What's the wall thickness, more or less?
    DP

Stock shafts are solid steel. The forward Hex shaft is 13 inches long, 7/8" hex bar stock. Aft shaft is 26.5 inches long, 13/16 in diameter round stock. Measurements are with all joints removed.

Is there any slip-joint between the flange bearing and PTO-side u-joint? Or is the length fixed?

I have a steering box brace in my way, that's one problem. It goes from the steering gear, to the opposite frame rail. Maybe 1/2" dia. rod. I've never thought about if it was stock or not, assumed it was. It's in the way, though, for a clear path. Crosses right about where the PTO driveshaft needs to run from the flange bearing to the winch. Stock, or not?

The u-joints and spline drive I have that came with the winch are measure 1.060" at the shaft end which was inserted into a pipe and welded. Problem is, PO used thinwall water pipe, which pretzeled. Would it be enough to turn them down to an even 1"OD, and use some 1"ID x .250 wall DOM I have on hand? Would that hold up for winch duty?

Thanks
    DP