Thread: Vacuum question for the gurus

Default Vacuum question for the gurus

So...the pumping arm on my stock fuel pump broke, so I bought a replacement stock fuel pump to be sent out to Then and Now to be rebuilt. But, I didn't want to be down in the meantime, so I put on the Airtex 6510 pump in the meantime (doesn't have the vacuum pump portion, just the fuel pump). What I've found out though is that my vacuum wipers are working just fine (actually better) with the lines just inter-linked without the vacuum pump there. I know this is the crank case vacuum running the lines, but what I want to know is:

Will just interlinking those lines cause any problems (I don't think it should since they are normally linked through the fuel pumps vacuum pump)?

Also, will I lose vacuum at higher speeds/revs? I've only run the vacuum wipers at idle right now, I don't know if the truck will lose vacuum pressure at drive speeds and RPM's.

Thanks in advance again, I appreciate any help/insight you guys can provide on this setup.

--Wintermute

Doing what you suggest will not cause any problems, but your wipers will not work very well. They will be great on deceleration but will die on acceleration when intake manifold vacuum is low. Very frustrating in a rain storm.

ahh, that's kind of what I thought. Thanks for the input

--Wintermute