Thread: Chevy drivetrain swap????

Cool Chevy drivetrain swap????

Hi guys, last post "Motor Swap" I was asking about a ford 300 L6 swap, however I feel that b/c of the overall cost and all of your help that will not be the way I go with my 67 M715. What I am now thinking about is a Chevy 350, 700R4, and NP208. (I realize that the 208 is a bit weak and will try to change it for a 205 married or unmarried) however has anyone done this setup and if so what worked or didn't work? Also any other suggestions would be appreciated.

With a Ford 300L6 you mean what we call here the old ironside straigt six with 120hp at 3200 rpm and a dual carp (single carb has only 102 hp). Or something more modern? These new engines I'm not familiar with.
    The Chevy 350 I suppose will be a modern designe. It will fit into the engine bay with modifications. But the electrics is 12 V for the electronics.
    The THM 700 with OD needs a modification on hight rpm, else the overdrive will die of overheated oil and limited supply. The OD gear carrier needs some additional oil drills to survive, if you use stock axles. US vehicles have a speed limitation of about 160 kph, which is at the limit for the transmission. We are allowed to drive much faster if the Autobahn is free and the limiter easily was to be blocked with a computer diagnostic system.
    The old ironside is a good Ford engine for at least 600,000 miles, if the cooling and the fuel thirst is covered. The engine lives on interior fuel cooling.
    May be this helps.
    Wolf

The 300 is out of a 93 f150 {INJECTED}. The 350 is out of a 84 K10 {CARB}. I will not be driving at Autobahn speeds so I feel the 700R4 will hold up.

By the way I will be changing the m715 to 12 volt.

O.K., my M715 was 12 V for about 20 years and I always had the problem to answere the request to pull 24V trailers. Now I have both, 12V civilian and 24 V military with a seven connector watertight receptical mae by Koito (looks like the Jimmy recepticl from outside, but has 7 instead of four connectors.).
    If the 300L6 Ford engine has the same block as the old ironside, I suppose it is a reliable engine.
    The '84 350 is not a to bad engine. At least reliable. It is a carb engine, so good torque from 1200 rpm. I would use the 350 engine if you do not mind the fuel costs, however, the 300 is not so much better to make a difference.
    If you have the chanche to change the torque converter to a racing type, means a torque converter that shwiches to drive throu below 50 percent of efficiancy, it sounds to be a good deal (standard torque convertes shwich at 66 to 80 % of efficiancy, means much later for comfort). For a relatively cheep fitting race torque converter check the big book, the older the better (ex. go to a book 10 years back).
    Wolf
    I have one of 1992, a good market overviev for old parts with still fitting stock numbers.