Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Angry_Truck rebuild update

All of my fuel lines were 5/16.

Columbus OH?
    I'm in Wheeling WV.
    You are welcome to visit, and take photos of my truck to refresh your memory.
    Mine is restored to original condition.
    And, I will take you for a ride.
    Just send me a Private Message.

Thanks Jeepdan! I'm on the Northwest side of Columbus. I am working on a list of things that I am just not sure how they are supposed to fit/look and I know your truck is an example of how it should be done. We occasionally head towards WV, so I can give you a shout when we are headed that way.

Default Knocking out the important stuff - steering wheel and horn button Part1

This rebuild is going to be random. I have had to take the approach of "eating the elephant one bite at a time" - the task is so large, I need to work on it a little bit at a time. So that means I am trying to find small tasks that I can work on in the small spare time windows that I have.
    While I am trying to get the major electrical and plumbing stuff sorted out and waiting for parts or smarts, I decided to focus on something else super important - the horn button. It's really the last thing I need to worry about but it was on the top of the pile of parts in the bed of the truck, and it fit the "small bite" criteria.
    As a recap, this is what the truck looks like ~now. (It has since had the front end torn apart - more later).

I found a replacement steering column a while ago, and the steering wheel was in better shape than the one on the truck but it still had cracks.

Those were filled with JB Weld and Sanded/Paint/Sand/Paint.... It was then painted with Red Oxide primer and then 24087.

Default Knocking out the important stuff - steering wheel and horn button Part2

Part 2:

The all-important horn button was in rough shape. The stupid kid (me) that turned the parts into the sandblaster 10 years ago left the horn button on and it was beat up pretty bad. I could probably find a replacement if I looked hard, but where is the fun in that? Especially since this was a "Jeep" button (I think at some point they just used a smooth, non-branded button on the M715). The edges were gone, and the surface was rough. I thought about 3D printing a replacement but that would probably have been as expensive as a genuine part. So I decided to rebuild it using epoxy.

Here's what it looked like after the sandblaster:

Using epoxy to build up some material. The blue masking tape is a "form" to help keep the epoxy in place while it dried:

I then did some rough hand sanding and then spun it on the lathe to get it round.

Then paint, sand, fill, paint, sand, paint....

I also reinforced the back side with some fiberglass cloth because the center had some small cracks.

Finished product:

It still isn't perfect, but neither is the whole truck, so I am good with it.

That turned out really well.

Keep the photos coming.

Default What connects here?

Hi everyone,

I hope you can help me identify what connects at this brass fitting on the side of the block behind the intake manifold.
    (Shown with the blue and green arrows below):

The manuals refer to it as "elbow" (part 30 in pic below). But I can't find what it connects to and mine seems to have another fitting attached to it that points towards the back of the engine (green arrow in pic above). I assume it is part of all the vacuum lines? Or maybe this is a case of "someone been messin' round?"

Thanks!

Its the manifold vacuum fitting that connects directly to the vacuum pump.
    Don't remember seeing the smaller fitting identified with the green arrow I need to go get a closer look at my truck.

The small port goes to the distributor, the large port goes to the top of the fuel pump in the port marked "MAN". Nice work.

Thanks m38inmaine! Based on your info I was able to find the right parts in the pile and get them installed.